Format Rules Don't Update Icon Applied to Field

I have set up format rules to assign an icon to field “Item” if Status=Red, Yellow, or Green (different rule and icon for each). The status is updated in the app based on a formula assigned to the “Status” field which is type “Color”.

The “Status” field is updating fine, but the format rule does not always apply properly. Is there a lag or something between the time status is updated and the format rule applies? If I check the source data, the status is correct, but the icon does not update.

1 15 609
  • UX
15 REPLIES 15

Bahbus

If you re-sync the app again after step 8, does it update correctly?

No, it doesn’t. I thought the same thing. I can’t figure out why going from Red to Yellow happens instantaneously, but from yellow to green, not so much.

Just for testing, remove the test for ISBLANK([Signature]).

Ok, I removed the test on signature, same result. Using the same logic, I removed the test on serial number, and it worked instantaneously as with transition from red to yellow. So what is it about going into the form, updating a field (and having the status change based on the update) that limits the format rule from working?

My theory with Signature was that the delay might be tied to the image upload. It may still be the case, since also removing Serial Number removes the entire last edit of the row. It’s that last edit where the upload occurs.

My next suggestion is to restore the Serial Number check but leave out the Signature check. Then submit the form providing only a serial number and not a signature.

I restored the Serial Number check but received the same result as with Serial Number and Signature check - i.e., status is green, but format does not update.

It’s weird because when I click the right arrow on the record, the green check mark appears - see below.

2X_1_12f1052a92f38907acc24ac1d78a65aceb74abe6.png

And if you navigate back, is the table row updated?

No, it’s not updated.

And those are the SAME exact data column from the SAME table? That is really weird.

I have a suggestion that probably makes no difference at all because functionally I think its the same. But you said you removed the check for Serial Number and Signature and it worked instantly, so maybe its worth a shot.

I would combine all your “Yellow” result statements in the IFS into one statement line.

OR(ISBLANK([Start Time]), ISBLANK([Serial Number]), ISBLANK([Signature])), “Yellow”,

Of course the “Red” and “Green” lines remain the same.

All this sounds like a bug to me. I encourage you to engage support@appsheet.com at this point.

Ok. I will contact support. Thanks!

Was there any update on this? I have something that seems similar where a Detail view is updated with a format rule but the main Deck view is not updating.

John - Didn’t see your question before. No update yet, but support is working on it. They were able to replicate my issue and are trying to determine whether it’s a bug or the way I set up the form. Will keep you posted

We found the source of the problem and have a fix on the way. This is specifically related to going in and out of the form view, so for others who have been seeing the same kind of problem, if a trip through a form was involved this fix will likely address it.

Top Labels in this Space