Format Rules - Filter based on Slice context possible?

I'm building a dashboard view for sorting TCM (transitional care management) patients. I currently have two views nested inside that are built on slices to help sort patients into different TCM categories. The two views are/slices are called "TCM Patients - Red" and "TCM Patients - Yellow", with the dashboard viewing being called "TCM - DONOTUSE" for the time being...

I know that I can assign format rules based on CONTEXT("VIew") = "Insert View Name Here" but i am having a bit of trouble thinking outside the box at the moment. I want to color the [Full Name] column of the patient red if they are in the "TCM Patients - Red" slice, with similar formatting to follow as i add more color coded staged.

Does the CONTEXT() expression have the ability to target slices, and if so, what's the proper syntax? I would like for the formatting to take place within the "TCM - DONOTUSE" view, but of course separated based on the slices. I am finding that filtering by CONTEXT("View") = "TCP Patients - Red"   does not work, presumably because that is a view that is nested inside of TCM - DONOTUSE, and that parent view is what is exposed to AppSheet when looking at the dashboard.

0 7 140
7 REPLIES 7

A few ideas, i could just copy the expression i used to create the slices into the format rules, or i could create a "TCM Stage" column in the patient records and filter based on the view plus the tcm stage value.

Still, i'm curious about more elegant solutions, if there is a better way.

Why not create a virtual column that determines the patient's TCM stage, then cue both the slices and the format rules off that?

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Within a dashboard view, CONTEXT("View") will always return the name of the dashboard, not the name of a view within the dashboard.

To my knowledge, there is no way to determine which slice an expression is being evaluated against.

You could try the CONTEXT functionโ€™s Table option. See what it returns and maybe it could be leveraged to accomplish what you need. 

Generally I think It's not weird if a format rule has the same expression as a slice.

It makes supporting and developing the app more difficult. Better to avoid.

Agree. But sometime It's good to highlight rows on other views which is not based on some important slices especially deck view which has limit columns & spaces to display (let alone additional virtual columns). This's where format rules using slice expression comes to play.

My gold rules is trying to avoid format rules & actions which are related to SELECT in any ways (either in their expressions directly or via any virtual columns) because it hurts app performance noticeably.

Top Labels in this Space