Format rules for certain view types only?

Is there a way to only display the icon in format rules to columns if the view type is a particular view. In other words, I have a format rule to display a check icon if [column]=โ€œdoneโ€ for column Progress. I have Progress shown visible in my card view and my map view. Is there a way to add a conditional to show the icon only in the map view? Or do I just need to add another virtual column?

Solved Solved
0 11 1,933
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. You must include CONTEXT(โ€œViewTypeโ€) in your condition in your format rules.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Yes. You must include CONTEXT(โ€œViewTypeโ€) in your condition in your format rules.

Thanks for this Post/Question, I was missing something when using CONTEXT and was going to ask, but I looked at the great Mr Steveโ€™s @Steve Documentation a bit closer & figured out exactly what I needed is (CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€) = โ€œby Ingredient"). Just in case someone else needs a little more detail here on how to use CONTEXT, this is what I got to work in my Recipe App. Format Rules while in my โ€œby Recipeโ€ View, I want the Recipe Name to appear bold & bigger and Ingredients to appear normal text, and in โ€œby Ingredientโ€ View, I want the Ingredient to be bold/big & Recipe Names to appear normal text. CONTEXT(โ€œViewโ€) = โ€œby Ingredient" worked! Another option is to restrict Format Rule by ViewType, which would be CONTEXT(โ€œViewTypeโ€) = โ€œCard", or CONTEXT(โ€œViewTypeโ€) = โ€œTable", etc. TYVM!

There shouldnโ€™t be any reason that youโ€™d need that extra set of parentheses around your expression.

OK thanks. I edited my previous comment to remove the unnecessary โ€œ(โ€

@Steve I did bump into another CONTEXT situation that I need for my Recipes App. In my View โ€œby Ingredientโ€, sorted & grouped by [Ingredient], all of the Recipes listed under each Ingredient only show one Row, but I really want to jump directly to that Recipe. How would I do this? I played with CONTEXT & LINKTOVIEW in Display Name for the [Recipe] column, but couldnโ€™t figure it out. I set my app up so each Recipe has one Row per Ingredient. TYVM!

Maybe just shown the [Ingredient] column in the view, and donโ€™t group by anything?

Thanks, but eliminating the Group by Ingredients just causes a โ€œtrueโ€ column to appear with the same problem as before, where I only see one Row, not everything for that Recipe.

What does that mean? Provide a screenshot.

In my โ€œby Ingredientsโ€ View, I must group by [Ingredient], so your I donโ€™t understand your previous advise to not group by [Ingredient]. I think I need to rebuild this app using a child table for my Ingredients. I was trying to keep it simple, but I made it more complicated. Iโ€™m thinking thereโ€™s a way to do what I want, but a child table will probably solve other issues this app layout is giving me. TYVM!

The โ€œtrueโ€ column (should be โ€œCocktailโ€) now looks like this. The first time that I eliminated Grouping by [Ingredient], (in my โ€œby Ingredientโ€ View) it had given me another column to the right labeled โ€œtrueโ€ showing all of the Cocktails. I played with the Sort & Group settings a bit & could not replicate getting that separate โ€œtrueโ€ column to the right of the purple Ingredients. I think I am going to just rebuild this app using a child table for Ingredients.

Well now Iโ€™m just extremely confused by what you are doing, and what youโ€™re trying to do.

Why does your [Cocktail] column has a Display Name of โ€œtrueโ€?

Going back to this:

From your screenshot, it appears I may have misunderstood what you were saying. So if youโ€™re still wanting help here, please elaborate on what this means.

And also exactly what this means.

Top Labels in this Space