Format rules

I could use some assistance with an expression in Format Rules. I'd like to change the font color to red of the columns in a parent table based on the value in a child table. I'm able to use the Format Rule in the Child table just fine, [Pending]=TRUE and this works great. But I struggle with dereferences so I cannot apply the format rule to the parent table. 

I have 3 tables: 

IL_CriminalCaseHistory_Tbl Parent to the IL_CriminalCountHistory_Tbl (Child Table) and this is the parent to the IL_Sentences_Tbl (Child Table). 

If the value in the column "Pending" is TRUE in the IL_Sentences_Tbl, I'd like change the format of the columns in the IL_CriminalCaseHistory_Tbl to display red. 

Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Solved Solved
0 3 163
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Haus 

You could use a FILTER expression, but let's keep it simple...

I suggest you escalate the format rule step by step, from grand-children to parent. To do so:

In "IL_CriminalCountHistory_Tbl ", add a virtual column "YN_Pending", expression:

IN(TRUE,[Related IL_Sentences_Tbls][Pending])

Then, in the "IL_CriminalCaseHistory_Tbl" Table, you can use this expression to apply the format rule :

IN(TRUE, [Related IL_CriminalCountHistory_Tbls][YN_Pending])

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Haus 

You could use a FILTER expression, but let's keep it simple...

I suggest you escalate the format rule step by step, from grand-children to parent. To do so:

In "IL_CriminalCountHistory_Tbl ", add a virtual column "YN_Pending", expression:

IN(TRUE,[Related IL_Sentences_Tbls][Pending])

Then, in the "IL_CriminalCaseHistory_Tbl" Table, you can use this expression to apply the format rule :

IN(TRUE, [Related IL_CriminalCountHistory_Tbls][YN_Pending])

Thank you for the solution, this worked great. I had thought that the best way to resolve this was with a solution such as yours. Thanks again!

Top Labels in this Space