Function to get Month Name

Hi Guys!

Is there any function to get month name from a date?

Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 13 3,361
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you- please of course use whatever convenient to you and suits your needs.

However, in general for most use cases,  if the month names are in English ( and French once @Aurelien confirms) , it is much easier to simply use TEXT() functions.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Unfortunately, no.  You'll have to create your own expression as described in this article:

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/2357320-month

That one is understood. But it is very basic, isnt it! Anyway, Thanks for the confirmation.

๐Ÿ™

Well, how much more complicated can getting the Month name get?     

@WillowMobileSys 's guidance is correct, if you are trying month names in a specific language. 

Alternatively one coud use TEXT() functions if one is trying English or French month names.

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/3517328-text

With TEXT() functions , TEXT([Date], "MMMM") will give month name for the date.

The months name definitely work for English and I think French locales also . Hi @Aurelien , I think I had seen a post from you about certain TEXT() functions  results like month names working in French language as well. Could you please confirm?

Edit: Made some changes in post description to request @Aurelien about French locale.

Uk
Silver 1
Silver 1

SWITCH(month([DATE]),

"1","Januari",

"2","Februari",

"3","Maret",

"4","April",

"5","Mei",

"6","Juni",

"7","Juli",

"8","Agustus",

"9","September",

"10","Oktober",

"11","November",

"12","Desember",

"")

For type column, Date

Uk
Silver 1
Silver 1

Like this

image_2022-02-26_231741.png

Actually I have created a read only table and use lookup to get the month name. I think this will help me to avoid error. I think so, I dont know whether my one is correct. But I prefer to use in this way as there is no option of function or method. 

Anyway, thanks a lot all of you.

Thank you- please of course use whatever convenient to you and suits your needs.

However, in general for most use cases,  if the month names are in English ( and French once @Aurelien confirms) , it is much easier to simply use TEXT() functions.

Hi @shahappsheet and @Suvrutt_Gurjar and everyone !

Sorry for the delay, I was out of office for a while.

Yes I confirm, though I didn't dig further in order to get why sometime I have it in French, sometime in English. I think this is because of the Sheets locale.

I retrived the post @Suvrutt_Gurjar mentionned earlier:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Group-Data-by-Month-Year-and-not-Full-Date/m-p/...

Cheers !

Thank you very much @Aurelien 

Hi @Suvrutt_Gurjar ! Thanks for your kind response. Yes just now I tested using, TEXT(([ExpenseDate]),"MMMM"), and it gives me the name of the Month. So that means we have function, isn't it? Previously I was using only the Text expression without format, so I was not getting the Text Name of that Month. So, I dont need to use my table idea. 

Thanks a lot.

Oh yeah!  I forgot about the TEXT function.  Oops!

I found this.
=UPPER(TEXT(([DATE]),"MMM"))      result  "NOV:" 

Top Labels in this Space