GPS Tracking and Reporting App

Rob_K

I have a very ambitious idea for an app for my workplace, but I am very much a beginner at AppSheet. Iโ€™ve dabbled but in all honesty, very overwhelmed. Iโ€™m here to ask, is my dream practically doable on this platform? Is it reasonabvle to believe that a beginner, with research could be able to implement it?

I manage a fleet of snowplows that plow a series of roads (routes). Each route is made up of a series of segmentss between two points. Iโ€™ve mapped out the routes on Google Maps, with each segment defined individually using lines. Each line of course has a starting point and an end point. Now, I havenโ€™t figured out how, if at all, those points have coordinates. If they do, I havenโ€™t figured out how to identify/isolate them. So, with that uncertainty, I defined each of those individual points in a new layer of points in Googe Maps which gives me the coordinates. So in essence, each segment on Google Maps has a line and a start and end point.

What I would like to create for my operators, for use with either their iPhones or iPads, is to be able to travel a route and have the app automatically time stamp when they travel over these segment start and end points for each segment of their route. Right now, they have to manually record times on paper, and this is very cumbersome, inefficient, and inaccurate (imagine having to stop every 5 kilometers of a route to record times of specific segment accomplishments). Imagine just being able to drive and have that all done automatically with the data being updated real time for reference by the supervisors. It could be a reliable means of not only telling when a segment was plowed, but a report can be generated in which segments not done can be compiled and dispatched for completion later.

Pipe dream? Or, doable? If doable, as a beginner, what key concepts would one recommend I research to help me piece this all together?

I appreciate all constructive critism and value all efforts to help me utilize this very exciting tool.

0 2 94
2 REPLIES 2

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Not possible with AppSheet.

Thank you Steve C.

Top Labels in this Space