Get latest value that is not empty

Hi all

I'm trying to get a formula, that is similar to this google sheet formula but in a virtual column:

=ARRAYFORMULA(IF(LEN(A2:A);IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2:A;SORT(FILTER(Objekt_Workinfo!B2:K;LEN(Objekt_Workinfo!D2:D));10;0);3;0));))

This formula gets the the latest value (based on a timestamp column) that is referenced by the key.

At the moment I have this virtual column formula:

ANY(SELECT(Spleisspunkte_Workinfo[Status],[DatumZeit]=MAX( SELECT(Spleisspunkte_Workinfo[DatumZeit],[Objekt Ref]=[_THISROW].[Objekte Key]))))

It almost works as intended, but there is a possibility, that in the "Spleisspunkte_Workinfo" table, the last referenced row has no value in the column [Status]. Is it possible to rewrite this formula, to get the latest value from column [Status], that is not empty?

Thanks in advance.
Adrian

Solved Solved
0 6 125
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would need more info in order to suggest you any expression. I don't know which column is the key column or where you want to put this expression exactly.

Also echoing @Suvrutt_Gurjar's words, make sure you use this on an Initial Value or similar instead of a place where it would affect performance, like a virtual column.

Generally the "get the last row of data" is something you want to have when you enter new data, unless it's on a table just for reporting where there is just one row or something like that.

Again, without entering into too much detail, make sure to use expressions wisely

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Maybe this 

ANY(SELECT(Spleisspunkte_Workinfo[Status],AND(ISNOTBLANK([Status]), [DatumZeit]=MAX( SELECT(Spleisspunkte_Workinfo[DatumZeit],[Objekt Ref]=[_THISROW].[Objekte Key])))))

Please note that your current expression is very sync inefficient as it has  a MAX() and SELECT() within another SELECT(),. The sync time could degrade exponentially as the number of rows it needs to work on increase.

You could try splitting the expression into two- one for MAXROW() and then finding the [Status] in another column.

This doesn't work, unfortunately. It doesn't return a value, when the last row has no value in [Status].

Then maybe this

ANY(SELECT(Spleisspunkte_Workinfo[Status], , [DatumZeit]=MAX( SELECT(Spleisspunkte_Workinfo[DatumZeit], AND(ISNOTBLANK([Status]), Objekt Ref]=[_THISROW].[Objekte Key])))))

I would need more info in order to suggest you any expression. I don't know which column is the key column or where you want to put this expression exactly.

Also echoing @Suvrutt_Gurjar's words, make sure you use this on an Initial Value or similar instead of a place where it would affect performance, like a virtual column.

Generally the "get the last row of data" is something you want to have when you enter new data, unless it's on a table just for reporting where there is just one row or something like that.

Again, without entering into too much detail, make sure to use expressions wisely

Thanks for that response. This really made me think. I guess I need to build the functionality of my app a little different, as this virtual column would be needed on a table with 3000+ rows.

I already knew that tha arrayformula in Google Sheets significantly impacted my performance and I thought, if I change it to a virtual column it will get significantly better.

Thanks for your insight.

Good that you are thinking on different lines for that functionality. My suggestion was also on inefficiencies of current approach.

Top Labels in this Space