Go to next record after quick edit in detail view

Any good techniques out there for automatically advancing to the next record in a detail view's slideshow when a user edits a specific quick edit column?

I have a detail view with a few quick edit enum columns (plus several read-only columns). After selecting a value in the first quick edit column, the user's next action is always to advance to the next record. Later on, sometimes they return to that record to make selections in other quick edit columns; in those cases, they do a little more work within the view before moving on to another record.

In the scenario where I know the user needs to advance to the next record, I'd love to make that happen automatically.

The only sort-of solution that occurs to me is to replace the quick edit column with buttons (one for each of the column's enum values) that invoke a grouped action, which first sets the value of the column and then uses the LINKTOROW function to go to the view's minimum row number that is greater than the current row number.

Any more elegant ideas that retain the quick edit column and don't depend on a SELECT expression that evaluates the whole view source just to identify the next record?

Solved Solved
1 3 249
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Create a slice that isolates the current row. Put a view atop that slice. If your slice row filter is configured properly, when the user chooses from the QuickEdit column, the slice will choose a different row and the view will automatically display that new row.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Create a slice that isolates the current row. Put a view atop that slice. If your slice row filter is configured properly, when the user chooses from the QuickEdit column, the slice will choose a different row and the view will automatically display that new row.

That's creative! Thanks for the idea. For other reasons, I was considering implementing some filter actions for that view, and hadn't connected the dots to the other part of my use case that I asked about here. Will think through whether I can make this work and meet all the other needs I have for the view.

As always, I really appreciate your guidance.

Finally made time to implement this. That's exactly the right technique. Makes data entry WAY faster--select the appropriate value in the first column and the view promptly advances to the next record.

For reference by anyone interested, it's not necessary to limit the slice to a single row, but rather just to exclude the records that meet whatever criteria you have for automatically advancing.

As I explained, my scenario is that users are essentially working through new records to log the value for the first column and then later return to individual records to log more information. So, for the times when they're working quickly through newly assigned records my slice simply excludes rows with any value in the first column. To accomplish this, I gave the user action buttons to toggle the value of a [Show All] Yes/No field. If [Show All] is true, the slice includes all assigned rows; if [Show All] is false, the slice includes only assigned but still wholly unprocessed rows.

Top Labels in this Space