Hello I have multiple users editing the same...

Hello

I have multiple users editing the same row at the same time but in different columns via an Action.

Each column has someoneโ€™s name and each row is an item. The Action places a โ€œ1โ€ in the userโ€™s respective column when executed. The problem I am having is that unless everyone syncs, it overwrites everyone elseโ€™s column with blanks.

Any ideas for a workaround?

0 3 1,662
3 REPLIES 3

tony1

@Phil_Renda This article explains the issue that youโ€™re running into: help.appsheet.com - Concurrent Usage with Multiple Users

Another problem that you didnโ€™t mention is: what happens if you need to change your users? Youโ€™ll have to go edit your column structure of your app every time, which could get complicated.

Iโ€™d recommend creating two tables (Items and UserItems) where UserItems has a reference column pointing to Items. That way, each Item will have a list of associated UserItems rows, which are added/edited independently of each other. As an added benefit, you wonโ€™t have to change your column structure if your users change.

https://help.appsheet.com/data/references/references-between-tables

Example of references here: https://www.appsheet.com/samples/An-app-for-managing-customers-products-and-orders?appGuidString=245... Concurrent Usage with Multiple Users help.appsheet.com

agreed on the two table alteration, I will get there eventually but it requires a multi-month overhaul. Currently I have an Action that is checking the USEREMAIL and letting a particular user edit a column. This required me to make an Action for each user. I am just confused if this action is specifically only setting a particular column & row to โ€œ1โ€, why it would override the entire row. I may try to

lock down the columns on the Google sheet to particular email but I was hoping there was a better workaround

@Phil_Renda When the user updates a column, the app updates the column in that row on the device, then sends the entire updated row when a sync occurs. The server isnโ€™t told what columns were updated, just that the row contains a change. Likewise, entire rows are sent out to other user devices when they sync.

Top Labels in this Space