Hello, I have two tables for a time sheet ap...

Hello,

I have two tables for a time sheet app.

One table collects the time sheet information the other has each day of the year and associated

pay cycles.

In the time sheet table I am trying to capture each time sheet entry and would only like the โ€œdateโ€ of the time sheet entry to come from a list of dates from the associated pay cycles?

I have created a date reference from the cycles table but I am confused on how to limit the date range selection to ONLY the list of dates in the pay cycle.

0 9 509
9 REPLIES 9

Would you please elaborate with thisโ€ฆ โ€œlimit the date rangeโ€, thanks.

Ok, so you have a Cycles table, with a list of dates for each cycle. And you have a [Date] column in your Time Sheet table. And now you want the [Date] column to show a dropdown list of only the dates in a given pay cycleโ€ฆ Which cycle?

Should it be the current cycle only (no backdating option)? Or do you want to allow the user to select any pay cycle first, then display a date list for that cycle?

For the latter, youโ€™ll need to add a [PayCylceNumber] column in both tables, so you have something to filter on. So for two-week pay periods, youโ€™d have a dropdown column with 1-26, for example.

Then enter an expression in the SUGGESTED VALUES setting that yields the correct list of dates.

SELECT(Cycles[Date], [PayCycleNumber] = [_THISROW].]PayCycleNumber])

@GreenFlux

Mr. Petty, You are exactly right!

I see where you are going. What I am trying to do with the [Date] column is have the available chooses of dates.

I am looking for something along the lines of using TODAY() to look at the [Pay Cycle] from the Cycles table and only have the given list of [Date]s from the cycle table is validated options to choose from.

I am going to play with your thought.

Awesome idea!

@Joseph_Corbett

Mr. Petty, Yes I am looking to only allow the current pay cycle option only

Please excuse formatting/typos- on mobile:

Yes, youโ€™ll want to use the TODAY() function then. So you still need a [Pay Cycle] column in each table to compare, but the user wonโ€™t select the cycle.

Youโ€™ll have to calculate the Time Sheet[Pay Cycle] based on TODAY(), then apply that value, using the same method above (for dynamic pay cycle).

I think it would help if each row of the Cycles table had a CycleDateStart and CycleDateEnd column. Then you can search for rows of Cycle table where TODAY() is between those two values.

If I share this app with you would you mind giving me some sample expression(s) in the app to get me started?

Sure, no problem. Please share it to: support@greenflux.us

@GreenFlux

Shared and thank you!

Could you add a [Cycle] column to the Timesheet table please? I have access to the app definition, but not the Google Sheet.

Also, I would change [Time In] and [Time Out] to DateTime column types. Using only the time wonโ€™t work for shifts that run past midnight; the subtraction for the duration will be wrong.

Top Labels in this Space