Hi, I am trying (and failing) to get a repro...

Hi,

I am trying (and failing) to get a reproducible setting of columns through a bulk action, that sets the values of 4 columns of an inventory sheet to be the same.

I have a Google sheet to define this โ€˜globalโ€™ setting, which has 4 values in 1 row, which are defined from a user form, that uses valid_if/dependent dropdowns. Choosing the values works, and the sheet updates. The purpose of this sheet is to set a default value for the corresponding set of columns on the main inventory sheet.

The inventory sheet has those 4 columns that are also available in separate forms that operates on the same valid_if principle.

Now, The bulk action operates on each of the four columns in turn, setting the main inventory column equal to the equivalent of the โ€˜globalโ€™ setting.

Here is the problem: If ONLY one of those columns is different for the item(s) selected for the bulk action to operate on, it works! It does not matter which value it is.

if 2 columns are different it fails. Every time.

The error is โ€œCould not set value because column X would become invalid.โ€

I have checked for consistency between formats and valid_ifs, but dont see any obvious issues.

Does anyone have any insight of why this would be so? I really want to keep the dependent dropdown for at least the main inventory page, as that constrains input from users adding to the database.

TIA.

0 3 478
3 REPLIES 3

It seems that the action will write a value that is not valid and thatโ€™s why it cancel it. Instead of using Valid_If, try to use Suggested_Values.

Thanks Aleksi. That will work, but has the net result of removing all the implicit dependences on the dropdown, so all values for the 4 columns are now available. That gives more options than are available for most entries, cluttering input for the user.

I will try and clear all values first and then re-set them to the Globals and see if I can keep valid_if, but I suspect the same errors will arise (but removing any required_if might help that)

The latter works: set null values for each dependent in reverse hierarchical order, and then set them to the intended value in order.

Top Labels in this Space