Hi, decided to ask this a separate question, ...

Alper

Hi, decided to ask this a separate question, in the following line;

[Startdate] <= [THISROW].[Startdate]

Is it possible to modify right part to refer another sheet? Tried:

sheet1[THISROW].[Startdate] sheet1.[THISROW].[Startdate] [THISROW].sheet1[Startdate] โ€ฆetc, many other forms of it. All failed and thereโ€™s no such example on web either. Any opinions?

0 6 323
6 REPLIES 6

Alper

@Harry

Hi, can you please verify, if the following notation is correct:

([cur_str_date] >= ANY(SELECT(sheet1[startdate], ISNOTBLANK(sheet1[startdate]))))

Appears correct but did not work for me, thinking on switching to lookup().

Also wondering how to test output of such a line. App formula of a virtual column of LIST type ? I am using it in validif(), so cannot visualize the output. Thanks !

Edit: I tried to modify as following; (Setsheet[cur_str_date]โ€ฆ And it complained about cannot compare a list with another list. Is this the problem? Setsheet has only one row, after column names.

Harry2

@Alper If you want to reference cells from a different table, you need to use SELECT() or LOOKUP(). In the case of SELECT(), you will need to wrap the output in the ANY() expression like so: ANY(SELECT(โ€ฆ)). This is because the output of SELECT() is a list of values, not a single value. More information here:

help.appsheet.com - LOOKUP()

https://help.appsheet.com/expressions/functions/select LOOKUP() help.appsheet.com

Within a SELECT() condition, all column references are relative to the table indicated in the first argument to the SELECT(). In your expression, the first argument is sheet1[startdate], which references the table, sheet1. So within the condition, column references will be columns of sheet1.

So your expression should be:

([cur_str_date] >= ANY(SELECT(sheet1[startdate], ISNOTBLANK([startdate]))))

SELECT(sheet1[startdate], TRUE) generates a list containing every value in the startdate column of the sheet1 table. ANY(โ€ฆ) then gets one arbitrary value from that list. In practice, ANY() grabs the first value, but SELECT() may return its list in a random order, so ANY(SELECT(โ€ฆ)) returns one arbitrary value from the values selected.

Consequently, youโ€™re comparing cur_str_date and cur_end_date against arbitrary and effectively meaningless values.

Alper

+Steve Coile

I have searched possibilities on using other functions but it seems its not possible to refer all rows of a different table individually for comparison purposes (may be until someone invents [_THATROW] parameter ) Decided to use your perfect formula by moving setSheetโ€™s columns into main data table. Thank you all for your patience.

Alper

+Steve Coile I got that point, thank you. Meanwhile, I work hard and created the following validif() condition, its placed in the sheet where cur_str_date and cur_end_date exists, and I really dont understand why its not functioningโ€ฆ (ISNOTBLANKs are replaced with TRUE, I hope its fine).

=AND(

([cur_str_date] < [cur_end_date]),

OR(

AND(

([cur_str_date] >= ANY(SELECT(sheet1[startdate], TRUE))),

([cur_str_date] <= ANY(SELECT(sheet1[enddate], TRUE)))

),

AND(

([cur_end_date] >= ANY(SELECT(sheet1[startdate], TRUE))),

([cur_end_date] <= ANY(SELECT(sheet1[enddate],

TRUE)))

)

AND(

([cur_str_date] < ANY(SELECT(sheet1[startdate], TRUE))),

([cur_end_date] > ANY(SELECT(sheet1[enddate], TRUE)))

)

) )

Top Labels in this Space