Hi everyone! I am creating an app that track...

Hi everyone!

I am creating an app that tracks the livestock on our farm. I currently have the sheep separated into 3 google sheets/tables; Ewe, Ram, Lamb. I did this initially so that I could track breeding lineage. So an Ewe can have a REF to a lamb and vice versa. The problem i am running into is that a lamb eventually becomes a Ewe or Ram, so I am trying to rethink my structure so that I have a SHEEP table and then a dropdown that allows the user to select the animal type. I am wondering how I can still track the breeding lineage this way?

0 2 422
2 REPLIES 2

Totally agree with your idea of Animal Type in Sheeps table as opposed to have separate tables for Lamb, Ewe, etc.

However regarding Lineage, could you elaborate a little what your concern is, and what type of data you were planning to store in that table? What’s the relationship between Lineage table and Sheeps table?

To track lineage maybe you can have “mate”, “parent 1”, & “parent 2” (or even more) columns in your table, each of which are references to other records in the same table?

Top Labels in this Space