Hide Completely an Entire Column (Header and Values) on Inline View

Hello,

is there a way to hide an Entire Column (Header and Values) on inline view.

My use case is that i have a database of experiments with particular products and their corresponding units to be measured.

For example, i have Product A that i have to measure in terms of Weight and Height. Then i have another product, Product B that i have to measure in terms of Weight, Length and Volume. They are two completelty different product which may or not have a common unit measure. (keep in mind that these products are tested multiple times, so its not a single use case. I can have multiple Product A measured on a daily basis)

Yes i can make a new table specific for each product, but, the problem is scalability in case i have multiple product its hard to keep track of all the tables. Thats why I want it in a single table. 

What i initially did was. I have Product A with an reference value of list for units such as Weight and Height. Then use the "show_if" function with expression IN("Weight",[Product A].[Units]). It works when its in form view. But in Inline View i still see all the column headers with blanks. 

I hope you get where im trying to make. Thanks

0 7 151
7 REPLIES 7

Did you confirm how you have the following property set?

โ€Show_If conditions can enabled for only form views or for the entire app. To control this behavior, see the Apply show-if constraints universally setting under UX > Options.โ€

from https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10106628?hl=en

Hi @dbaum 

Yes i have confirmed the property settings. I think what this only does is hide the Value but not the Header of the column.

in techinicallity what i want to achieve is like a Slice but instead of ROW condition its a COLUMN condition.

Is this even possible?

I don't know, and I see that @Suvrutt_Gurjar, who is more experienced than I, pointed you to a previous discussion about this possibility that didn't yield a solution.

If you want to keep experimenting, another idea that occurs to me is to create show_if expressions that reference the entire column--e.g., along the lines of:

ISNOTBLANK(for this child row's parent row, all of the child rows where [Weight] is not blank)

Is your inline view a table view  and can the said column have multiple values?  If a column can have multiple values , then show_if  condition with one value will not work in table view because the other value can possibly be there in a summary view like a table view. So Show_if will work for individual records in form and detail views but not for summary views if there can be multiple possible values for that column.

Please take a look at the below post if the situation matches yours.

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Show-If-Column-Constraint-not-applying-in-Inlin...

I see, a bummer indeed.

Yes, I agree, it does sound disappointing. However, I think it is more to do with logic rather than looking at it as an unavailable feature.

@dbaum ,

Nice suggestion to try. For good ideas, there is nothing like experience. An idea can always work, that is why we have so many tips. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Your community contributions have been thoughtful ๐Ÿ‘

Top Labels in this Space