Hierarchical table

There is a configuration table in which there are things of three main types - material, component, product. The product may contain materials and components of varying degrees of nesting, components - other components and materials. I cannot make a selection from this table in which all the materials and their quantity included in the product will be. Please direct it in the right direction, thank you.2022-08-06_12-30-00.png

Solved Solved
0 9 469
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Based on description it sounds that 

1. A product can be made of many components and many materials

2. A component can be made of many other components and many materials

3. Material is a the lowermost element in the structure.

This sounds like a typical BOM ( Bill of materials) functionality.

You may want to explore the referencing between tables.

References between tables - AppSheet Help

In general 

1) Products table can be at the highest level

2) A Components table can reference Products table and self reference Components table

3) A Materials table can reference Products table and Components table.

However will request you to refer best principles of BOM applications (there are many articles on the internet)  and study your own requirements thoroughly with respect to available functionality in AppSheet before configuring the app. The above is just a suggestion and may or may not work in your case.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

If you want to create a view with filtered data, I'd suggest you to have a look at 

Filter(): https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10108196?hl=en

Slice: https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10106592?hl=en

If you are trying to acheave another goal, please share more details

Thanks

Yes, I probably misrepresented the essence of the question. The table in the appendix summarizes all information on products, their components and materials used in their production. As a result, the technologist cannot directly see the required amount of material for the finished product, but only indirectly through the component. I am trying to achieve the transformation of the table at the top into the table at the bottom, so far to no avail.2022-08-06_17-19-57.png

I suppose that you are talking about an APP and not just about a spreadsheet, being the APP based on the spreadsheet that you indicate above. That said, what I understand you need is to show your technologist just a SLICE of the table (i.e. the spreadsheet of your image).

In order to create a slice from your table, you need to create one from here:

franc_0-1659806112190.png

then click on "New Slice" and write the condition to use in order to filter your rows in such a way that the column  [Type component] is equal to "Material"

franc_1-1659806337007.png

and that's it, you can now create a View where this filtered data are shown. To do so select as Data the Slice you have just created and a Table view if what you want is to show your spreadsheet data as a table.

franc_2-1659806771807.png

in my opinion, if my guess is correct, this is all you need. To have a simple and clear example, please consider this APP that you can copy and modify: https://www.appsheet.com/samples/This-app-shows-how-to-slice-your-data?appGuidString=984a5f04-96f6-4...

let me know if this information is helpful or if I am misinterpreting your explanation.

Yes, I'm talking about the APP, it's just easier to demonstrate the task in a tabular view. Of course I use slices, but that's not really the problem - I didn't just call the topic Hierarchical tables. The method you proposed will not work (or I don't see how) to extract the data correctly. By excluding the component included in the product in the slice filter, we exclude the materials that are included in it, respectively, we get a distorted picture. I need to extract not only materials from the component, but also their quantity multiplied by the amount of the component in the product. The task is not as simple as it looks initially, that's why I'm puzzled.tables.jpg

Based on description it sounds that 

1. A product can be made of many components and many materials

2. A component can be made of many other components and many materials

3. Material is a the lowermost element in the structure.

This sounds like a typical BOM ( Bill of materials) functionality.

You may want to explore the referencing between tables.

References between tables - AppSheet Help

In general 

1) Products table can be at the highest level

2) A Components table can reference Products table and self reference Components table

3) A Materials table can reference Products table and Components table.

However will request you to refer best principles of BOM applications (there are many articles on the internet)  and study your own requirements thoroughly with respect to available functionality in AppSheet before configuring the app. The above is just a suggestion and may or may not work in your case.

OK, now I see your problem

It's hard to see exactly where you are with the APP now. I think in your case it is always useful to be able to share some sample Excel, with the different tables (and no confidential or private information in it, of course) to get some help. The answer of @Suvrutt_Gurjar is very useful and a great starting point. 

Reading your last description reminded me of this post and the APP that could be useful for you: 

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/Sample-App-Child-table-with-multiple-parents-Sho...

https://www.appsheet.com/templates/Autocreated-from-Google-Sheets?appGuidString=8e6f6cfd-22a5-4060-b...

Thanks for the referral. I think the evening will be spent in productive training.

I report on the work done. I haven't been able to implement BOM on the APP side yet. Did it on the tables side. The mechanics are as follows: A request comes from the APP with the necessary SKU, then there is a search of positions in the complectation table, taking into account the type of position, Components go to the next interation, materials to the final selection. At this stage, this implementation suits me, but I think I will return to this issue later. Thanks to all those who helped.bill.png

Top Labels in this Space