How Can I Efficiently Pull Information from Related Records when Sending Emails Through an Automation?

Hello,

My app has a Students table, and a Classes table. The Students Table has a ref column where users of the app can select a studentโ€™s class.

We often need to send emails to students that require information from the Classes table. I have a solution that has been working, but it seems terribly inefficient, and I feel like there must be a better way. In the Students column, I have a series of Virtual Columns that pull from the Classes table. And then when I use automations to send emails to students, I pull from that virtual column.

So for example, letโ€™s say I need to send a message to all students telling them when their class starts.

In the Students table, I have a VC titled Start Date with this formula: Select(Classes[Class Start Date], ([Class ID] = [_THISROW].[Class]))

Then I create an automation with an email task that pulls from the Students table, and says: Your class will start on <<[Start Date]>>

Is it possible to skip the VC step and somehow add a formula to the email task that will pull the related information? We have recently begun allowing students to be assigned to 2 classes at once. So we have a 2nd class column. And to continue with my current awful system, I would need to create a second version of each VC (we already have 10!)

Thank you!

Solved Solved
0 4 198
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you so much! That seems way easier than the monster Iโ€™ve created. I see the format for a dereference is [ref-column].[value-column]

Would the expression in the template be as simple as <<[Class].[Start Date]>> ?

When you say you can use it in the template, does it have to be a Google Doc added as a template file? Or can I just type it on this screen?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

And as a side note I just wanted to point out that you can insert complete expressions into templates as well, not just single column values. Like with your example above, you donโ€™t need the VC in the app, just use the same expression in your template with angle brackets.

<<Select(Classes[Class Start Date], ([Class ID] = [_THISROW].[Class]))>>

Thank you so much! That seems way easier than the monster Iโ€™ve created. I see the format for a dereference is [ref-column].[value-column]

Would the expression in the template be as simple as <<[Class].[Start Date]>> ?

When you say you can use it in the template, does it have to be a Google Doc added as a template file? Or can I just type it on this screen?

Yes

They are both โ€œtemplatesโ€
3X_c_3_c3e66ec58fda8b50b45b1a8eb3e64819112d088b.png

Cool beans. Thanks again!

Top Labels in this Space