How can I have tiny picture within a generated PDF which links to the high quality picture

Hi everyone, 

I recently discovered Appsheet and I am very satisfied with the tool. 

I created an app to structure the plumbing inspection on the field for my plumbers so that the questions, the pictures and the report are smartly handled. 

I use the bot to generate a pdf from a Google Doc template. It kinda works after many hours of trial and errors. 

Here my issue. I have many picture in the report. When the picture (drawing actually so he can circle the issue) is captured by the plumber, the quality if at the highest so we can zoom on the PC if needed. When I use the picture in the PDF, I created a Format Rule to display Tiny picture because larger picture are too big in the report. I see that we can click on the picture in the PDF but it opens the same image with a really small resolution making Zooming useless. 

Is there a way to modifity the link so that the picture in the report is the resized picture with a link to the original picture? (Like a thumbnail that opens a higher resolution image)

Thank you in advance

Solved Solved
0 5 164
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Typically in a PDF report, the size of the image displayed is in proportion to the width of the cell  in the template. So you could have a minimum width for the table column in the template where you are displaying the image. So the image will appear tiny in the report but when you click on it, it will expand properly. In this case, please remove the format rule because you are now controlling the image size with the table cell width in the template.

Example:

Image as it looks in the PDF report

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1680248505643.png

The template's image column width is very less as shown below

Suvrutt_Gurjar_1-1680248575268.png

The image opens in the browser to a large size, when one clicks on the image in the PDF report as shown below

Suvrutt_Gurjar_2-1680248713967.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I'm not sure but I believe that if you create a one-cell table in your template with limited height and width you won't need the format rule you created.

Also, there is a setting that determines the uploaded size of images. See the pic below:

Matheus_Souza_0-1680224648911.png

Hi Matheus, 

This field is for the upload quality. So when the plumber take a picture and save it to the cloud, it will use the quality specified by this field. It is indeed this file that I would link to open with the link in the pdf report.

For the repport, if you don't specify the format it will use the picture "as is" which will be different for each plumber since they have a different format for their cellphone camera as well as is will be too big. That is why I have to use the format rule (to know and standardize the picture format for the report spacing)

Typically in a PDF report, the size of the image displayed is in proportion to the width of the cell  in the template. So you could have a minimum width for the table column in the template where you are displaying the image. So the image will appear tiny in the report but when you click on it, it will expand properly. In this case, please remove the format rule because you are now controlling the image size with the table cell width in the template.

Example:

Image as it looks in the PDF report

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1680248505643.png

The template's image column width is very less as shown below

Suvrutt_Gurjar_1-1680248575268.png

The image opens in the browser to a large size, when one clicks on the image in the PDF report as shown below

Suvrutt_Gurjar_2-1680248713967.png

Thank you for the example Suvrutt. It seems like I overengineered the thing here. I removed the rule for 1 picture and dit several test. It worked.

I don't remember why the initial issue was. I will try to remove the format rule for all of my pictures and see where it doesn't work like I wanted too. 

Good to know it helps. You are welcome.

Top Labels in this Space