How can I hide "New" AND its little function button in all dependant drop down windows?

Howdy!  How can I hide "New" AND its little function button in ALL of my Ref column dependant drop downs, for all of my Tables? 

This "New" function here is redundant & unnecessary because the User will add a new Member by using the big round beautiful + (plus button) in my Members view.

Screenshot 2022-09-01 12.11.04 PM.png

In UX >> Localize >> Customize System Text, I was able to hide just the word "New" in one View using this expression, but I don't want the function button to be available either, in any of these dependent drop down lists. TYVM!!

SWITCH(CONTEXT("View"),"Meetings Slice_Detail","","New") 

Screenshot 2022-09-01 12.35.31 PM.png

0 6 276
6 REPLIES 6

Change the reference table to read only

Wouldn't that make it so I could not add a new members using the normal round + Plus button in my normal Members View? Must be able to add new Members.

Instead of defining the column with the dropdown as REF, define it as ENUM/REF instead.  It will behave the same way but will not show the New button.

NOTE: you will need to specify an expression in the Valid_If property, if you don't already have one, to supply the list of dropdown values.

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.54.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.53.40 PM.png

This is correct this is how New disappears

Interesting work around, thank you. I will play with it & see how it works for me.  The Ref is to an ever-changing list of people.

It would be much better if we just had a "Do not show" button for this, like we do for other stuff.

ty, Steve

@StephenMattison wrote:

Interesting work around, thank you. I will play with it & see how it works for me.  The Ref is to an ever-changing list of people.

It would be much better if we just had a "Do not show" button for this, like we do for other stuff.

Agreed! 

Be sure to consider usability.  How are those REF values added when new ones are needed? 

If the "current" user can add those REF rows at another location then I would leave the button available for convenience.  I.e. In the middle of data entry flow they realize they need a new REF row added.  Without the New button, the user is forced to Cancel, go to another app location to enter the row and then start the data entry all over again.

If it is a case where only certain users should be allowed to Add to the table, then you want to use "conditional permissioning" on the table.  Add privileges can be selectively  removed  and they will automatically NOT see the New button.  Those who can add to the table will see the button.  See image. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 11.46.44 AM.png

Top Labels in this Space