How do I connect category with subcategory?

NCD
Silver 2
Silver 2

As an example, let's say I have a category column named genre of music in enum. (hip-hop, rock, r&b, etc...)

when I pick a certain one, I would like my sub-category column named artist (in enum as well) to show me only the artist in that genre.

What is the best way to go about this?

0 6 479
6 REPLIES 6

NCD
Silver 2
Silver 2

@TeeSee1 

Thank you, this worked perfectly!

Follow up question though.

So now my sub category became a dependent dropdown of category, and I'm also tying [sub category] & UNIQUEID()

but I also have a description in my subcategory like;

F2 (these are cottons)

and I don't want that (these are cottons) to be in my UNIQUEID.

How would I right this in expression?

What do you mean with "tying"? That is not an AppSheet term, so it's unclear what you mean.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge/explanation.

First of all, some of our employees do not understand the sub category F2 (e.g. from above) at first glance what it means. So in my sub category column, that I have made as Enum type, I have decided to write a short note beside the values like; 

F2 (these are cottons)

and that in it self works just fine,

but in our company, we also create our product number by adding the sub category to several randomized digits.

So I thought it would be a good idea to make my product number as the key of my table as well. So in my product number column in initial value, I have written [sub category] & UNIQUEID() .

So now it shows me "F2(these are cottons)4fe404e4", but I want it to be F2-4fe404e4.

my third issue is, I am unable to edit the product number after I click save. Because the column is the key for the table.

So maybe I should keep product number and key for the table separate?

Don't use the product number as key; use an independent value, such as a value generated with UNIQUEID().

Thank you!

I will separate product number and key!

Top Labels in this Space