How do I have a form with shared field and a table add records to another sheet?

My data is invoices. I want a form that allows entry of invoice number and below that a grid of invoice items. Also it ideally has a save button, which when clicked, blanks the form (Ie deletes it from the underlying spreadsheet, assuming I have to have such a sheet) and moves the data to another sheet which has rows consisting of the invoice number plus all the fields from an invoice item.

I have tried parent-child table, add action etc but I seem to be tying myself up in knots.

Anyone have an example I can look at?

0 3 53
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Ed,

Create an invoice table with theses columns:

1. Invoice ID (Which youโ€™ll set the initial formula to UNIQUEID() to generate a number.)
  2. Items (Youโ€™ll need child-table that lists the invoice items to select using an enumlist type)
  3. Timestamp (This isnโ€™t necessary but nice to have to order by date.)

Once youโ€™ve created this table appsheet will auto create a system view like โ€œInvoice_Formโ€. This will allow to to create a new invoice with a generated ID and add line items that you wish to include.

I highly recommend these texts to refer to as well as this youtube walkthrough. I had to create an exact replica to understand and I find thats the best way to learn sometimes!

Thanks Aaron, that looks like a big help, but does it save the data in a second table and blank it in the first?

By data Iโ€™m going to assume youโ€™re referring to the Items youโ€™ve chosen to list from an Items table. The items youโ€™ve selected will appear as a list in the detailed view of an invoice. These are references of rows from the Items table so they will not be deleted upon save. (If you did delete them from the Items table they would no longer appear in your list.) I hope this is what you meant by โ€œblank it in the firstโ€

Top Labels in this Space