How do I make a lookup column value static whenever a new record as been added?

Hi all,

I don't even know if this is possible.

Say, I have the following setup in a table

Column A = Date
Column B = Expense Amount
Column C = Current Available Account balance (arrayformular vlookup from another sheet)
Column D = Recorded Account balance at the time of expense

What I want to do is whenever a new record is added, Column D would keep the value displayed from Column C at the time, and doesn't change anymore despite column C account balance will increase or decrease overtime.

For example:

First transaction when recorded

DateAmountAvailable Balance (formular)Recorded Bal at the time (static)
11/05-$20$100$100

We can see, initially I had $100 available, I'm recording an expense of -$20
My Column D recorded Balance at the time of this transaction will need forever to stay at $100, as a historical record.

Then, when a 2nd expense is recorded

DateAmountAvailable Balance (formular)Recorded Bal at the time (static)
11/05-$20$80$100
13/05-$40$80$80

Column D for 11th May is still $100, where as column C the current account balance will now show $80, as $20 was expensed during the first transaction.

I hope this is making sense, thanks to anyone who can share some lights.

I was thinking this would be an automated action but are quite sure what action would be required as it's been 3 months since I last did any development, and my short term memory is really bad, like i have a 2kb storage.......

0 3 133
3 REPLIES 3

If you need a calculated value to populate a column at the time of row creation and not change subsequently, put the expression that calculates the value in the column's initial value property.

Thank you for replying so promptly, do I do that on my googlesheet or in the app.

If it's in the app, but i already have column with formulars on googlesheet, do i create a virtual column in the app instead?

@rybnz wrote:

do I do that on my googlesheet or in the app

The initial value property is only available in the app's column configuration--there's no such thing in a spreadsheet.

@rybnz wrote:

do i create a virtual column

The initial value property is not applicable to virtual columns. Create a column in your data source.

Top Labels in this Space