How do I search for a value in a Slice that has been scanned into the mobile app?

This is not as easy as I figured…
I have a mobile inventory app based on the sample from here.
The Slice (MobileAppData) contains all relevant information that should be displayed in the mobile app.
I have hidden all columns except for [Serial Number] which is a scannable field.
My problem;
Since I can’t just take off any program what I want like in Excel how do I make the app search the Slice for a scanned (or typed) serial number and if found show certain fields or if not show empty fields for a new data entry?
Since I only need a YES or NO for SHOW_IF(), I have tried using FILTER(MobileAppData; MobileAppData[Serial Number] = [Serial Number]) but it tells me that Cannot compare List with Text in (MOBILEAPPDATA[Serial Number] = [Serial Number]). I also tried SELECT(MobileAppData; MobileAppData[Serial Number] = [Serial Number]) with similar results. SELECT() says that Cannot compare List with Text in (MOBILEAPPDATA[Serial Number] = [Serial Number]).
All I want is to check each sn in the slice for a match and if found show certain columns for further editing. It should be relatively simple. Or not?

0 4 762
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Charles!

I’m a little confused about what you are asking. Are you looking for an expression to use in order to determine whether or not to show an individual record (cell) in your MobileAppData slice? Also, what kind of match you referring to? Serial numbers are usually unique but are you trying to find other rows that have the same serial numbers? Would you want add links to those rows?

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Why are you using a slice?

How have you hidden the columns?

What does this mean?

FILTER() and SELECT() do not provide Yes/No results:

MobileAppData[Serial Number] = [Serial Number] is probably not what you want.

How do you intend to display the columns for further editing?

@Steve and @Kirk_Masden,
Wow, I guess I shouldn’t work when I’m tired! =^0
I thought I explained everything clearly (at least on Friday it sounded clear).
Second attempt:

1. I am using a Slice because the table (StockList) contains more data than needs to be displayed on a mobile device.
  2. In the main data table StockList I set the Visible switch to No.
  3. Apparently, I was a bit overtired and wrote nonsense.
    a) I was only referencing the fact that in Excel, Word, etc. with VBA, I would know how to write what I want to happen.
    b) What I am trying to achieve is:
    An employee receives either a new device place in stock or a no longer need device must be returned to stock. In Appsheet, he should only see the scannable field Serial Number to begin with. This I have achieved in that I have hidden all other data fields. When He scans the serial number it should be checked against the Slice to see if it is already in the table. If found, Other data fields should become visible filled with the associated data ready for editing. If not, the fields should become visible for a new entry in the table

Comparing the scanned serial number with the Slice column Serial Number and making other fields visible is where I’m stuck.

I hope this is a bit clearer than on Friday. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi @Charles Maybe you could have an on save Action that takes you to a view of another slice with more information. or LINKTOROW?

Top Labels in this Space