How does one prevent users from editing data from a Ref List?

I'm new to GAppSheet. My first app includes several columns, with data source Ref, that are working fine in the app EXCEPT that the user is given an option to create a New entry value. Thus, for example, suppose a column name IMPORTANCE that's linked to a Ref list, in table IMP_LIST, with options "High" ,"Medium", and "Low". When I do this, the user in the app is given not only High, Medium, Low as options for IMPORTANCE but is also given a "New" option, which allows the user to input values not on my validation lists. How do I prevent this?

Note: I have tried removing edit option in the underlying table IMP_LIST that contains my Ref source. But when I save the table, GAppSheet simply rechecks the box again.

Please advise. And thanks.

Solved Solved
0 1 62
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm guessing you are trying to refer to the [Related whatever] column which is a List column, not a Ref one.
This List column is automatically added to the parent record when a table is referencing to it.

If what you want is to prevent any adds, you can do one of three things

1. Use a Slice instead of the whole table inside the [Related whatever] column config that is configured as Read only.
  2. Change the behaviour of the Add action button for the table the [Related whatever] column is reference to.
  3. Change the "Are updates allowed?" option in the table so that your users are not allowed to add records, this can be dynamic using an expression and user table.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

I'm guessing you are trying to refer to the [Related whatever] column which is a List column, not a Ref one.
This List column is automatically added to the parent record when a table is referencing to it.

If what you want is to prevent any adds, you can do one of three things

1. Use a Slice instead of the whole table inside the [Related whatever] column config that is configured as Read only.
  2. Change the behaviour of the Add action button for the table the [Related whatever] column is reference to.
  3. Change the "Are updates allowed?" option in the table so that your users are not allowed to add records, this can be dynamic using an expression and user table.
Top Labels in this Space