How to: In-app edit button

Hi,
I'm building an app for my personnal sugar shack needs. I have a tabbed view here showing degrees I need to boil sap to, to create different products. (Sorry for the french app version!)

Basically, the initial value is 212F (hidden) + variation = Adjusted temperature

Question is:
I want to be able to change the initial 212F in the calculation of each line within the app via a simple button. I would like this to be more of a calculator than simple table.
Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks! 

forumappsheet.png

0 4 155
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @dididramis !  Nice app!

There are a couple of options. 

1)  Table views do have a QuickEdit option you can turn on to make the table editable.  Below is an example Dashboard.

2)  You can use Inline Actions as buttons on the table rows.  For example, you could have 2 buttons - increase and decrease - on each row.

Example Dashboard view - QuickEdit button highlighted

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 4.37.10 PM.png

Example of Table in Edit Mode - Gray column is not Editable

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 4.37.42 PM.png

Understood! Thanks!

Is it feasible in a formula to refer to a value in a specific column AND a specific row?
This way I could only edit one value to update all other rows...?!

Yes, in that case, you would want to use a Virtual Column.

I understood that you wanted to individually adjust each row.

So going back to your example.  You said:

I want to be able to change the initial 212F in the calculation of each line
within the app via a simple button

You will need to store the 212F initial value somewhere.  I can think of a couple options.  Let me know which you like best...

1)  You could use User Settings, set a value to be the 212F initially and then each user can adjust it to their own needs.  It would only affect themselves on THAT device.  Then your "Temp adjustee" column would be a virtual column the computes the value adding "Variation" to the User Setting value.

2)  If you need to be able to adjust the initial 212F value for ALL users - i.e. every user gets the value on the next Sync - then you will need to store the value in a table.  I would recommend a small Settings table - even if this is the only value there.   Then you can create a Detail view with a QuickEdit for the Temp Setting value and below that show your table as an inline table.  Still use a Virtual Column to compute "Temp adjustee" it just reads the Temp Setting from your Settings table.  Now, when you change the Temp Setting, the Settings table is updated AND you can see the immediate effect on your table view.  

Which approach is closer to what you need?

I like option 1 for its simplicity and ability to get each user to change their initial value whenever they want. 

The only thing though is.. Is there a way to edit the User Setting value directly from my "Transformation" view without having to go through Settings menu?

Just so it makes more sense to you, the Initial Value actually is the boiling point of water. When boiling sap, you add the "variation" value to the boiling point to make different products out of it, like maple syrup for example.
My goal is for each user to be able to update their Initial Value (boiling point) daily, since it slightly changes everyday according to barometric pressure.

That's why it's something I'd like to have within the view. Since it's not something you set once and never touch it again, it makes more sense to me to be able to update it directly in the view.

Hope this explains my needs a little better.. ๐Ÿ˜…

Top Labels in this Space