How to Upload Images to AppSheet Database

V-A
Silver 1
Silver 1

How do I upload images to AppSheet database via the app editor (rather than the app)?

My app uses AppSheet's database.  When creating a new image-type column, I see that it's not possible to upload image files into the column's cell:

VA_0-1677188825466.png

I know my default folder path is "/appsheet/data/MyApp-123456789" but do not know how to access it to upload images.

How are images uploaded in AppSheet database?  Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 15 2,837
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Correct, it's a relative path. Go find where that file is that you just uploaded and you have your answer.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

You probably don't upload images directly to the database, just like you don't upload them directly to a gsheet or sql database. Only the relative path to the file stored on your gdrive is saved to the table.

Keep in mind that appsheet databases are still in beta/preview.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand AppSheet database is in preview stage so it may have some limitations.  I've uploaded image links prior to AppSheet apps using Google Sheets as the database; I just needed to place the images folder in the same folder as the spreadsheet database and reference the "folder/filename.png", for example.

The problem is that I don't know how to access the AppSheet path where my app's database resides so I can upload an images folder or the images without a folder.

Please let me know how can I access "/appsheet/data/MyApp-123456789", if this feature is currently possible.  Thanks.

Upload a photo through the app, and then see what kind of value ends up in the database.

The database entry doesn't provide the full path nor much else meaningful; just "TableName_Images/RandomAlphaChars.ColumnName.RandomDigits.png".

Correct, it's a relative path. Go find where that file is that you just uploaded and you have your answer.

I searched my Google Drive for those RandomAlphaNum characters, found the file, and found the root folder.  Thanks.

PgM
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Hello All, 

I'm jumping to this thread:

I currently have an app based on the gsheet with images saved on my drive

I'm creating a new app based on appsheet database as it seems to be the most efficient data storage. On this new app i'm reusing a big part of the data from my "legacy" gsheet app. 

I'm struggling to get the images available on the new app.

i have copy paste path of the image

PgM_0-1681746672290.png

which is where it is saved  in my g drive

PgM_1-1681746786801.png

here is what i see in the app

PgM_2-1681746846999.png

Could you please help me to figure it out ?

Thanks for your help

For ASDB (as well as any sql database), the path to the image is relative to the app's "default app folder", which is different than for a GSheet where the path is relative to the location of the GSheet.

Thanks @Marc_Dillon 

I guess i've saved the images (transfer) to the right folder as i've transfered the images where the new one (uploaded from the App itself) have been stored.

Am i missunderstanding your reply ?

Many thanks

PG

@Marc_Dillon 

To illustrate my asnwer: the last image is a new one from the App, the 2 others are the ones i've transfered to my previous App

PgM_0-1681750216901.png

And what are the data values stored in the table for those 3 images?

This is the values in the ASDB

PgM_0-1681750526197.png

The folder names are different, "STOCK" vs "STOCKAGE".

argh!!!!!

I'm stupid!! sorry to bother and many thanks for your precious help!

PgM_0-1681750957450.png

PgM
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

argh!!!!!

I'm stupid!! sorry to bother and many thanks for your precious help!๐Ÿ™

Top Labels in this Space