How to Verify a user's current location coordinates has changed with a minimum distance of 300ft

I have a table with a users current location using "Here()"

I also have an action button that the user hits and a rule to watch if the users current location has exceeded about 300ft from the current location [Interest/Departure Spot]  of the time they hit the action button.

Only if this condition is true

This action is available only for rows of the table that satisfy this condition

(DISTANCE([Interest/Departure Spot], here()) * 0.621371)>0.10

I am trying to use this action which adds data to a row  ONLY if the current location actually reaches apprx 300 feet from initial location

Will this condition still allow me to update the data only if the users location exceeds apprx 300ft? 

0 7 87
7 REPLIES 7

I don't know for sure. The app is not constantly evaluating HERE(). Using it within an Action's condition, I'd assume it would be evaluated every time the user navigates to the view holding the Action, but I'm not sure if it would be evaluated again when the Action button is clicked. So you may run into the following scenario: 1. User navigates to the view with the action button while under 300ft, 2. user moves to a location that is over 300 ft, 3. user clicks the button that is still visible because they did not navigate to any other view, 4.??? Action may fire or may not.

hmn, what if i create an automation to wait for location to change as such found in this snapshot

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 4.09.55 PM.png

A wait step still needs to be triggered by some data change.

can a column that is a 2 minute timer referencing another be used as a trigger to the check if location changed? 

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.12.30 PM.pngthis should trigger the wait

Honestly my best advice here is to just drop this. Appsheet is not suitable for real-time location tracking. Sure, you may be able to configure a work around that's good enough for your exact situation, but you haven't shared what your exact requirements are, so it's impossible to say.

>>"can a time countdown column referencing another column change to be used as a trigger to the check if latlong changed? "

I don't know what this means, you'll have to be more specific. Like what is a "time countdown column", Appsheet doesn't have any such thing.

As for the screenshot of your Bot, without sharing the rest of its details, I have no way to comment about that.

I agree: AppSheet is not suited for this.

Top Labels in this Space