How to add Google Contacts to Appsheet?

I want my AppSheet app to sync all contacts from my Google Contacts. Must have is ''Getting'' the contacts and prefereably also ''Pushing'' contacts when the user makes a new one in my app.

If another user logs in to my app, they should see there contacts.

Who knows the solution for this? I have been searching a lot but could not find it. I could not find a similar topic.

0 10 1,799
10 REPLIES 10

You likely need to use Call a script tasks within automations to retrieve or change data viaApps Script. It looks like Apps Script provides a basic Contacts Service as well as a more robust People Service.

Thanks for the links! I must say it's not really clear to me as non-developer where to start. I suspect I need to make an ''action'' or ''automation rule'', but after that I'm lost. The info on the links are quite technical.

Jerrymaja_1-1672257377969.png

@MultiTech has teached how to do it on this video: google contacts apps script 

I've seen that tutorial and it works brilliantly !However, Class ContactsApp is now deprecated and I'm hoping someone has a tutorial on how to do this with the new people api. @MultiTech ?

I don't normally get to post here as all my questions are usually answered via the search (95% of the time by @Steve , thanks Steve)

I have set up a script from ''Advanced People Service'' in one message. I skipped the ''change manifest file'' part because it''s unclear to me.. I get results anyway.

I tried this with manifest file but doesn't work:

Show More
      {
        "oauthScopes": [
        ],
      }
{
  "timeZone""Europe/Brussels",
  "dependencies": {
    "enabledAdvancedServices": [
      {
        "userSymbol""People",
        "version""v1",
        "serviceId""peopleapi"
      }
    ]
  },
  "exceptionLogging""STACKDRIVER",
  "runtimeVersion""V8"
}

Jerrymaja_0-1672317399823.png

But now, how do I get those contacts to show up in my app or the spreadsheet? Do I have to add another step?

Jerrymaja_0-1672318355382.png

Be sure to see @MultiTech's video cited in @diogolupcosta's reply. That clearly illustrates that you're not connecting your app directly to your Contacts as a data source, but rather syncing information between your Contacts and a partial replication in an ad hoc data source.

You need a table in your app connected to a data source where you store the contact info you want to see in the app. To initially populate the table, you may need a one-time effort to either manually populate the data source or create an app action and associated script to do it all at once.

If there are changes to your contacts not made via the app, then your script needs a function to periodically update the data source directly. You can create a time-driven trigger to do that.

So not connecting the table to Google Contacts directly, but rather to a spreadsheet which somehow gets the Google Contacts data? If yes, how could I set that up? I can only find ''manual solutions''.

It should sync Google Contacts based on who is logged in into the app.

@diogolupcosta wrote:

@MultiTech has teached how to do it on this video: google contacts apps script 

I watched the video several times but it's not in it. The video only shows a solution about how to add, update and delete a contact after you have added it in appsheet. I want it also the other way around.

@dbaum wrote:

To initially populate the table, you may need a one-time effort to either manually populate the data source or create an app action and associated script to do it all at once.

If there are changes to your contacts not made via the app, then your script needs a function to periodically update the data source directly. You can create a time-driven trigger to do that.

Top Labels in this Space