How to count duplicate text values in a column and select only the most frequent?

Good morning,

I need your help to create an expression that results in the most repeated value in a column and how many times it has been repeated.

In the “School” table I have a column called “Student Name” where the data (name) is entered by the user.

I wish I could find the most entered name and know how many times it was entered.

Let me explain myself worse.

For example, in the “Student Name” column there are these names:

• Sandro
  • Mario
  • Michele
  • Monica
  • Sandro
  • Lucia
  • Mario
  • Paul
  • Sandro

So Sandro appears 3 times, Mario 2 times, Michele 1 time, Monica 1 time, Lucia 1 time, Paolo 1 time.

I would like the function to return only: Sandro (3).

Would any of you know how to tell me how to do it? Thanks in advance everyone for the help.

Solved Solved
0 2 1,013
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Marc_Dillon 's approach above is a good one.

If you are not opposed to adding additional columns to help facilitate the selection, this is how I would approach it:

1. Add a virtual Column to your Students table to count the number of occurrences, maybe [Frequency], and the expression would be:
COUNT( FILTER("School", [Student] = [_THISROW].[Student Table Key]))

This does assume you have in the School table a REF column to a Students table.

1. Where ever you need to show the “winning Student” add another Virtual Column, maybe [Winning Student] as a REF column and assign it using a MAXROW() expression.
MAXROW("Students", "Frequency")
  1. You can build the Winning Student Display Value like this:
[Winning Student].[Student Name] & " (" & [Winning Student].[Frequency] & ")"

One big question is how do you plan to handle the display when there are multiple students with the same “winning” count?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

This is a tough ask.

Do you happen to have a Table of Students? That may make this easier to accomplish.

Without such a Table, you could do something like this:

1. In a new column, of type Ref, ORDERBY() the School Table, on the COUNT() of that name, then take the first item with INDEX(… ,1).
    Something like:
INDEX(
  ORDERBY(
    FILTER( School , TRUE ) ,
    COUNT( FILTER( School, [Student Name] = [_THISROW].[Student Name[ ) ,
  TRUE
  ) ,
)

Note that the above is a very expensive expression, do NOT put it as a VC in a large Table.

1. Then from that column, you can build the text string that you want, by concatenating a simple dereference, and another COUNT().
[1st-column].[Student Name]
&
" ("
&
COUNT( FILTER( School , [student name] = [_THISROW].[1st-column].[Student Name] ) )
&
")"

@Marc_Dillon 's approach above is a good one.

If you are not opposed to adding additional columns to help facilitate the selection, this is how I would approach it:

1. Add a virtual Column to your Students table to count the number of occurrences, maybe [Frequency], and the expression would be:
COUNT( FILTER("School", [Student] = [_THISROW].[Student Table Key]))

This does assume you have in the School table a REF column to a Students table.

1. Where ever you need to show the “winning Student” add another Virtual Column, maybe [Winning Student] as a REF column and assign it using a MAXROW() expression.
MAXROW("Students", "Frequency")
  1. You can build the Winning Student Display Value like this:
[Winning Student].[Student Name] & " (" & [Winning Student].[Frequency] & ")"

One big question is how do you plan to handle the display when there are multiple students with the same “winning” count?

Top Labels in this Space