How to create a validation report for form input in appsheet using a python script

Hello everyone,

I have made an automation form that fills information based on ref IDs, where the user has to upload a document as well. So I have a python script that basically has all the functions for the validation part, but how do I integrate this feature in appsheet where after filling the form the script is triggered to validate the uploaded document in the form, then gives a report if the readings in the document are correct as per set parameters and if not the user goes back to rectifies, validates and then submits the form.

The report should be something on this line:

Nielay_0-1657272271404.png

0 7 195
7 REPLIES 7

The automation section has the ability to create a task to execute a script, and you can now get return values as well. This is a relatively new released feature, so it's probably still pretty raw and buggy, but you could probably get something working inside there.

My question really becomes, "why not just do all that validation inside your app sheet app in the first place?"

This would require you to take all of the validation logic from your Python script, and translate that into valid if formulas for your columns inside your app. In order to get this to work you'll probably actually need more than just adding in the formulas, you'll probably also have to add in some sort of reference information - to tell the system some information about what's going on. It can then use that reference information to validate the data entry from the person - not always necessary, but something to keep in mind.

But the requirement is to validate the uploaded pdf document, does appsheet verifies data inside a document with expressions like you are suggesting?

Oh, I was assuming you had a script to validate some column values.

Apps you cannot do validation of documents, you'll have to run that through a script.

- one of the newer features is the ability to get a return value from a script, you could probably play with that.

Okay.

Can the same validation part be achieved with the OCR model in AppSheet intelligence?

What are you specifically looking to do?

The objective is to read the data inside the uploaded pdf doc and validate it against certain parameters 

OCR would work, as long as your documents are standardized - and you've got a nice collection of docs to train on.

I suggest at least having 50 well annotated documents in your system before training your OCR.  You can get away with a ridiculously small number, but there's a curve to learning based on the number of samples. 

(Engage rabbit hole mode if you dare!)

Top Labels in this Space