How to display Save-Cancel button in view which has Quick Edit columns

I have developed a Deck view for the users to get the listing of allotted tasks.  On selecting a task, user can update two fields which are in Detail view.  I used Quick Edit option to make these fields available in Detail view.  Even though Quicj Edit columns are available in the view, the Save-Cancel buttons are not getting in the view.  Can any body guide me.

0 12 693
  • UX
12 REPLIES 12

There will not be any Save or Cancel buttons on a Detail View with Quick Edit columns.  Any changes made to the Quick Edit fields will be submitted as a row edit immediately upon exiting that field.  Each change is sent as a separate row edit.  For for example, if you have 4 Quick Edit fields and make a change to all of them, there will be 4 row edits submitted.  If you go back to previous Quick Edit fields and change them again - even back to the original value - those changes will be added to row edit list to increase the row edit count.

To contrast, if those same 4 columns were presented in a Form View, you can change all 4 fields and tap Save...only a single row edit will be sent.  You can make 50 different field changes on that Form, when you tap Save only a single row edit is sent.  If you make 50 field changes but end up changing ALL the fields back to their original values AND no other underlying changes were made (such as a ChangeCounter) - then NO row edits would be submitted.

I hope this helps!

WillowMobileSys

Thanks for the detailed explanation.   Is there any way, once user fill up last Quick Edit field then previous Deck view is visible.

If you to mean to automatically switch to the previous Deck view, then no.  There is no capability to attach any kind of activity based on a change to a Quick Edit.

Maybe a description of what you are trying to accomplish will help us come up with an acceptable alternative approach?

Kindly find more details of the app and what I am trying to accomplish:

1.  Requester initiates a Request by entering details and Save the record.  Mail is sent to Reviewer for his action.

2. Reviewer can see the newly added Request in Deck view.  He can click on the Request and it opens in detail view.  All fields are non editable except "Reviewer Decision" and "Reviewer Comment".

3.  "Reviewer Decision" has two buttons "Reviewed" and "Send Back" and Reviewer Comment is long text field.  (Reviewer Decision and Reviewer Comment fields are defined in Quick Edit Column). Reviewer takes decision and enters comment.  

What I try to achieve, once Reviewer takes decision and enters comment, system should take him back to Deck view. 

Many Thanks for your support

@tamaneks wrote:

What I try to achieve, once Reviewer takes decision and enters comment, system should take him back to Deck view. 

This is what I thought and it makes sense for this use case.  Unfortunately, this is not how Detail Views are intended to work.  E.e. from a Detail View there isn't a way to control this flow.

I would recommend creating a Form View to handle this.  You can implement this Form view to have only the 2 fields the reviewer needs to change  OR  if other fields are needed to help with decision making when reviewing, then include those but as non-editable fields - info only.  You can implement this Review Form by setting its "Finish View" property to go to any view of your choosing.

Then you can have the reviewer navigate to this Form view in 2 ways:

1)  You can override the "Row Selected" behavior with an action of your own so that instead of going to the normal Detail View, it goes to the Review Form.  Additionally, you can implement this action so that if it is the reviewer - go to the Review Form.  anyone else goes to the Detail View as normal.

2)  You could add to the Deck View row a "Review" button that shows up only for a reviewer.  When tapped the user is taken to the Review Form.

Ask any additional questions you might have.

I hope this helps!

Hello,

As you suggested

"I would recommend creating a Form View to handle this.  You can implement this Form view to have only the 2 fields the reviewer needs to change  OR  if other fields are needed to help with decision making when reviewing, then include those but as non-editable fields - info only.  You can implement this Review Form by setting its "Finish View" property to go to any view of your choosing."

I tried to create a Review Form in Form view, but could not create.  Will you please suggest the steps.

Thanks

@tamaneks wrote:

I tried to create a Review Form in Form view, but could not create. 

What problem did you have?   

Creating the new Form view should be like any other.  

Hello,

I have a Deck view as the name "Review".  As per the suggestion, I tried to create Form view with name "Review Form".  Both the views use slice named "Review Slice".  I need, the columns in slice should be visible in "Review Form" as non editable plus need to display two more columns ("Reviewer Decision" and "Reviewer Comment") as editable.  This will help Reviewer to take decision and enter his comment. However, only first two columns defined in slice are visible as non editable in Review Form.  I replaced slice with table name, and all the columns are visible in Review Form but all are editable.  In both the above cases, the two columns ("Reviewer Decision" and "Reviewer Comment") are not visible.

Thanks

I see.  If you are going the route of showing several columns in the Form as "informational" columns and not allow editing, then you will want to apply expressions in the the Editable property of each column you are showing on the Review_Form and should not be editable.  See image.

The expression would be something like:

CONTEXT("View") <> "Review_Form" 

CONTEXT() 

The expression above, when placed in the Editable property, basically turns off editing in the "Review_Form" view but allows it in any other view.

Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 2.22.41 PM.png

Thanks WillowMobileSys

I tried the steps as guided, I may be doing some mistake.  Giving below the configuration I applied which will help you to get more details:

1.  Entered expression "CONTEXT("View") <> "Review Form"" for two fields "Request ID" and "Cluster". 

tamaneks_0-1673247794626.png

2.  Created Action "Open Review Form" to open "Review Form"

3.  In the deck view "Review" entered action name "Open Review Form" in the View Option --> Action.

4.  Getting Action icon on Review form (Pls see screenshot below).

tamaneks_2-1673248854129.png

5.  On clicking the line item the "Review Form" opens but in detail view and on clicking Action icon the "Review Form" opens in form view, however, the two columns (Request id and Cluster) which were made not-editable are missing.

tamaneks_3-1673249071907.png

I think I am doing something wrong.  Kindly help to get (a) two missing columns in form view and (b) on clicking line item the form view should open instead of detail view.

Many thanks for your help

@tamaneks wrote:

the two columns (Request id and Cluster) which were made not-editable are missing.

There are a number of reasons why columns may not be showing.  But since one of your columns is Request ID and it is a key column, it must always be included and you have it set as Show,  it seems the issue can only be:

• You are looking at a different view
  • The view does not include the columns

Be sure your app is navigating to the form you think it is .  You can tell this in the Editor's emulator at the bottom.  See image below.   Also, make sure that view configuration has these two columns included to be shown.

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 10.09.51 AM.png

Thanks,

Request ID was not Key but it was marked as Label, which I removed now.  But still two fields are not visible. Also I am getting correct view.  Kindly find the screenshot.

tamaneks_0-1673286234299.png

Top Labels in this Space