How to execute a column expression automatically, from gSheet data?

I have the following data that is automatically entered into a google spreadshet:

Event

CreateDate

noSync_gSheet.PNG

From the "CreateData" data, AppSheet uses an expression to calculate the time into column  "TimeT".

noSync_appSheet_TimeT.PNG

However, when I sync, the AppSheet expression data in "TimeT" does not get generated. 

Why is that? Do I have to set some sort of behavior in order for this automation to occur?

If I create a Virtual Column with the same expression, then YES, the data is generated but not synced to the gSheet because that VC does not exist there. 

My goal is that when gSheet receives CreateDate data, it will automatically execute the AppSheet expressions and fill in/sync the DateT and TimeT values into gSheet. However, unless I use a Virtual Column, AppSheet will not execute the TimeT expression.

I'm awfully tired so this might be an easy answer but my mind just cant wrap itself around this problem right now. Your help would be most appreciated.

0 1 75
1 REPLY 1

While app formulas in virtual column recalculate on every sync for all rows, app formulas in normal columns calculate only for a particular row only in two cases, sync is not one of them:

1. Creation of the row.

2. Upon a data change in any column of this particular row.

The creation or the data change has to occur through the app not directly in the sheet. 

One way to achieve your goal is to create a button for an action that will launch on all rows of the table updating a single column. You can add a new column with an initial value of 0. The action would just increment the column's value by 1. But because you've changed one column, the formulas in all other columns of the same row will recalculate.

Top Labels in this Space