How to generate ENUMLIST from a column containing a delimited list

I have a list of locations, each with a column listing what's offered

LOCATION_DATA source 
 gcor71_2-1692964801750.png

I have a FILTERS view/table that allows the user to select what's offered from an ENUMLIST.
Until now, I have hardcoded the ENUMLIST.  This worked well.
I prefer to have the ENUMLIST be dynamic, based on values in L_groups_offering for a selected L_group.

My latest attempt is...
F_section > Auto compute > suggested values:

LIST(SELECT(LOCATION_DATA[L_group_offering],[L_ref_id]=[_THISROW].[F_group]))

Everything I have tried so far either fails or returns the L_group_offering as a single text entry (not broken into list items).

What can I try?  What am I forgetting?

gcor71_0-1692964533320.png

gcor71_1-1692964702035.png

Solved Solved
0 7 203
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SPLIT(TEXT(SELECT(LOCATION_DATA[L_group_offering],[L_ref_id]=[_THISROW].[F_group])), " , ")

Please use SPLIT() to flatten the list because a SELCET() on a list creates a list of lists.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

SPLIT(TEXT(SELECT(LOCATION_DATA[L_group_offering],[L_ref_id]=[_THISROW].[F_group])), " , ")

Please use SPLIT() to flatten the list because a SELCET() on a list creates a list of lists.

Thank you!  Obvious when someone tells you the answer ๐Ÿ™‚

Please use a de-reference formula to grab the value you want:

[F_group].[L_group_offering]

It should be that simple; if not, then something is missing - an additional reference connection is necessary.

• If you've got a reference connection between here and there - there being where that list you want lives - you can de-reference that column through your reference connection.
  • Maybe that list isn't directly connected, but it's one or more steps away; in these instances you can use chaining dereferences to get your value
[F_group].[FG_Location_Ref].[L_group_offerings]

Provided that the column you're pulling is a list/enumlist, and you're pulling that into a list/enumlist column - apples to apples - it should work without needing any transformation or anything.

Thank you for joining Matt. Your suggestion on referencing is so relevant. ๐Ÿ‘

I replied through mobile in travel. One tends to miss these finer points or "bigger picture" with smaller screen. ๐Ÿ™‚

Being on mobile screen, I concentrated on expression part of it.

I very much like this answer, but struggle to get to grips with references / de-referencing in general.  I tried as suggested, but with no result.

I will keep trying to understand referencing - and hopefully use your suggestion in future.  Far more elegant than the SELECT.

I think I just "got" references.  Inspired by your post I persisted and I managed to replace a very complicated set of formula with clean and simple [].[] references!

Thanks again!

high-five-animation.gif

whoop WHOOOP!!

Top Labels in this Space