How to handle multi level lists?

Hello friends, i want to build an app to create and print construction progress certificates, but thereโ€™s a problem:

These certificates can have lots of sublevels, for example:

1.10 HYDROSANITARY FACILITIES
1.10.1 RUNNING WATER
1.10.1.1 PROVISION AND PLACEMENT OF PIPES
1.10.1.1.1 Polypropylene thermofusion tubes 

If there was only 2 levels (a parent and a child) it would be fairly straightforward, but given that there could be a lot of them, i canโ€™t imagine an easy way to pull it off

These sublevels must have references between them in some way, because iโ€™m gonna set up a gdoc template for printing the certificates with the relevant values to each one of the lowest level items.

Has anyone done something like this before? if you did, how ?

0 10 523
10 REPLIES 10

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Where do you see difficulty?

I find it difficult to imagine how iโ€™m going to handle the sublevels in a way that letโ€™s me easily drill throught them when i build the workflow template, since im going to have to cover from the most basic case of a parent and a child table, to a case of a great-great-great-great parent table all the way down to the last child table.

I suggest a single, self-referencing, table. This will allow any number of levels. Each row either references its single parent, or nothing.

@Marc_Dillon, bingo!

The big problem will be the template, since you canโ€™t recurse. Instead, youโ€™ll just have to decide what level of nesting youโ€™re going to allow and code for it explicitly. Ugly, but I donโ€™t see another way.

level-1
<<If: level-2 exists>>
level-2
<<If: level-3 exists>>
level-3
<<If: level-4 exists>>
level-4
<<EndIf>>
<<EndIf>>
<<EndIf>>

Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!

I wonder how far i could push the self referencing technology haha , never tried this before, could i create a [Related something] pointing at the same table? that way i would do this:

and i could have an auxiliary column, that would enumerate the โ€œlevelโ€ of the row, so i could use nested start expressions and the [Related something] of each row to drill in deeper in this self referencing nightmare?

You could. In fact, youโ€™d have to, as AppSheet wonโ€™t generate the Related โ€ฆ columns for references to the same table.

You couldโ€ฆ

You wouldnโ€™t strictly need the level enumerated to use the nested references.

Thanks guys @Steve @Marc_Dillon, iโ€™ll give it a shot, yโ€™all gave me the push i needed to get started 2X_7_7b010b9e077da544e825c20378a3f42bba333f65.gif

Anyone got this figured and working?

I just say, dear lord, I don't envy your problem! ๐Ÿ˜…

Top Labels in this Space