How to justify the folder path of a file column while adding a new row to another table?

Hello everyone!

Please help me here!
When an action is performed- 'Data: add a new row to another table using values from this row', the table in which a row has to be added, has a column of 'file' type. The source table (the table that has a record) also contains the column of 'file' type. These tables are not located within the same folders (of Google Drive), and are located in different folders. While adding a row, the value of a column of 'file' type get the same value as of source table, because of which the file is inaccessible. 

How should I tackle this problem? (The only condition is, these tables cannot lie in a same folder)

Thanks in anticipation!

Solved Solved
0 2 119
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When using GSheets as the source, all relatively referenced files must be at or below the location of the table they are referenced from. So it sounds like for your situation, you can't use a relative reference. I can imagine these options:

1. Instead of copying the record completely, have the new record be a reference back to the original, that way you can pull the file in with a dereference.
  2. Use a public link to the file. You can do it one of 2 ways:
    1. Store the files in a publicy-shared GDrive folder, and figure out a way to generate the public links (probably via App Script)
    2. Disable the app's file security settings and use Appsheet's "gettable" public links.
  3. Figure out a way to restructure your file system to account for all file folders to be at or below all GSheets.
  4. Switch to a cloud store for files (no idea if this is actually possible of feasible, just a thought)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

When using GSheets as the source, all relatively referenced files must be at or below the location of the table they are referenced from. So it sounds like for your situation, you can't use a relative reference. I can imagine these options:

1. Instead of copying the record completely, have the new record be a reference back to the original, that way you can pull the file in with a dereference.
  2. Use a public link to the file. You can do it one of 2 ways:
    1. Store the files in a publicy-shared GDrive folder, and figure out a way to generate the public links (probably via App Script)
    2. Disable the app's file security settings and use Appsheet's "gettable" public links.
  3. Figure out a way to restructure your file system to account for all file folders to be at or below all GSheets.
  4. Switch to a cloud store for files (no idea if this is actually possible of feasible, just a thought)

Thank you @Marc_Dillon  for your response! Referencing will help me for my problem.

Top Labels in this Space