How to leave a date field blank?

I have a form for invoices with a last_sent date column.  I don't want to populate the date when the form is initially filled out.  The MySQL table column is a date field with NULL set to Yes and no initial value for the field.  In Appsheet,  when the initial value is left blank or left as NULL, it will not let me save the form unless a date is input.  I'm guessing that the mm/dd/yy label shown before a date is input is actually a value that the form is trying to store instead of a placeholder value.  Any workaround for this? 

0 2 194
2 REPLIES 2

I'm guessing that the mm/dd/yy label shown before a date is input is actually a value that the form is trying to store instead of a placeholder value

No, it's not.

I've never had an issue leaving a date column blank, and it being NULL in the backend. When you say "NULL set to Yes", what exactly do you mean by that? Can you enter a record directly into the backend with a NULL value?

You always have such weird issues with MySQL that I've never experienced. I know you mentioned certain MySQL versions before, are you experiencing it across different versions again? Where is your server hosted? Have you ever tried to to establish a brand new connection to the database? Do you use it across several different apps? I really have no idea what might be pertinent here, just spit-balling.

Thanks Marc.  Yes, a quick test with an AppSheet DB table proves that the problem is limited to MySQL tables.  I don't think it's any particular version of MySQL that I'm using as I have several projects using a variety of hosts and MySQL versions, and they all seem to have the same quirks to them.  Not sure why AppSheet has so many MySQL quirks to it.  So, the question remains, is there a  workaround for getting a date field, stored in MySQL to accept a blank value.

Top Labels in this Space