How to make a good question

Hello there everyone, I have returned to the forums after a year or so of inactivity and I've had a few topics play out like the interrogation scenes from Inglorious Basterds so I figured I should make a post with some tips on how to ask productive questions for obtaining good answers.

1.  Be specific
    When you post an issue with your app what you mention about it is everything that we know about it, always mention the name of the tables involved and their column structure, if something is not working as you expect explain both how it's working (or not working) and how you expect it to work.

2. Be concise
    Context is good, but if you're already telling me all about your issue, the tables and columns it's related to, and what is happening and what should it won't matter to me if it's for growing potatoes on mars or taking inventory for a lemonade stand, when giving context to your issue keep it simple and focus on the important data.

3. Include support material
    Have trouble explaining your problem? record a quick video showing it on your app preview and post it along with a short explanation.
    Need to give context about your tables? just take a few screenshots from the editor showing the columns.
    Action / Automation / Google docs template not working? just screenshot their configuration and post them right up.

A picture is worth a lot more than a thousand words when used along with some context.

4. Try to solve it yourself first
    It's really helpful to know what you have tried in order to solve the problem as well, and for that, you have to try ! There are a lot of resources spread around the official documentation, youtube channels and random community posts, make sure to try to look around these before you post your question, but don't be stubborn about it either ! if you're feeling stuck on the problem that's when it's time to make a post.
5 2 161
2 REPLIES 2

Yeah that's a real classic right there, I just felt I had to be more specific about what people actually should mention in their questions in order to be able to answer them.

Top Labels in this Space