How to obtain Geocode from Address? What's this button do :)

I am looking to be able to sort addresses in a list based on distance. 

I have looked at this article:

https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10106705?hl=en

And I have a virtual column, [_computedAddress], that returns a concatenation of the fields that will make up a full address.

This dialog shows Geocoding Enabled as being checked:

Screenshot 2022-08-03 10.48.52.png

But i cannot seem to figure out how to access the geocoded LATLONG values in order to use the computed address in a DISTANCE() expression ๐Ÿค”

2 5 463
5 REPLIES 5

That geocoding button isn't going to do what you're hoping... this is actually something we've been asking for for years - the ability to reverse geocode an address and get the latlong.

• The devs have been reluctant to implement this functionality... for reasons.  (^_^)

All that checkbox does is allow AppSheet to use a background service to reverse geocode your address - in order to display this info as a pin on the map

• But the result, the data you wish you could store, you don't have access to.

The solution is to create your own geocoding system using a google script

I've added this to the list of videos I'd like to make;  this would be a perfect demonstration of how to implement a google script and return a value... (^_^)

Lemme throw another curveball at you. I found a possible solution using a geocoding add on for Google Sheets. Can you explain the purpose of the "spreadsheet formula" field in AppSheet? To my understanding, you should not have any formulas embedded in the sheet, but the documentation i saw regarding this field in AppSheet is not quite clicking for me.

Are there any caveats to having addons in your sheet to facilitate this? Hoping to just add a "geocode address" column and have this add on input the data.

Top Labels in this Space