How to properly create a result based on multiple conditions

Apologies if this doesn't make clear sense or if it seems confusing, even I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the challenge.

I am working on building an accounting system.

I have two different accounts I would like to generate reports for: "Work" and "Personal".

In my Invoices table I have columns: Account, Year, Invoice #, Invoice Total.

In my Reporting table I have a column that lets me select the account and then creates a sum of all the invoice totals for that account. To do this, I am using the following formula:

IFS(
([Account] = "Work"), SUM(SELECT(Invoices[Total], (([Row ID].[Account].[Title]) = "Work"))),
([Account] = "Personal"), SUM(SELECT(Invoices[Total], (([Row ID].[Account].[Title]) = "Personal"))),
)

This works well, but now I want to add another set of conditions that allows me to also choose the year.

To avoid over-complicating the solution, I was trying to simplify my expression and replace the last text value in the Select expression with a text value from the Reporting column "Account". Something like this:

SUM(SELECT(Bills[Line Amount], (([Row ID].[Account].[Title]) = TEXT([Account]))))

However, I think that by doing this I am actually referencing the "Account" column from the Bills table instead of the Reporting table. Any idea how to do that?

Note: The reason I am using this type of expression "[Row ID].[Account].[Title]" in the Select expression is because I actually have a list of accounts more than just "Personal" and "Business", but I wanted to simplify the question a bit. 

0 2 80
2 REPLIES 2

@Jonathan_Beaton wrote:

This works well, but now I want to add another set of conditions that allows me to also choose the year.

The row filtering criteria allows for complex conditions with the use of logical operators.  You can do something like:

SUM(SELECT(Bills[Line Amount], 
AND([Row ID].[Account].[Title]) = TEXT([Account],
[Year] = [_THISROW].[Year]
)
)
)

Note:  I simplified removing unneeded parenthesis and I am assuming you have a [Year] column to properly organize the Bills rows.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your help and my apologies for my delayed response. I will give this a shot and let you know how it goes!

Top Labels in this Space