How to reference a list that matches the specific row

I have table "Database" with columns "Item code", "item name", "quantity" etc.
The second table is "Shop" with columns "item code", "quantity" etc.
I need to reference the list of quantities while item codes match each other.

Appsheet does not let to use list expression in app formula if column type is "ref", so I 
tried the formula in "Valid if" field. 

select(
Database[quantity], [Item code]=[_thisrow].[Item code]
)

Unfortunately nothing happens. "quantity" column in "shop" table is still empty, nothing gets referenced.

Solved Solved
0 16 626
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Krismar 

I think there is a confusion: you have "quantity" both in Database and Shop.

Can you try this:

[Related SHOPs][quantity]

Please note this expression should be used in the table Database.

This assumes the column "Item Code" in the SHOP table is set with type Ref and data source Database.

View solution in original post

Hi @Krismar 

@Krismar wrote:

Is it possible to ref a value entered in a form view?

Yes

@Aurelien wrote:

References between tables - AppSheet Help

Dereference expressions - AppSheet Help

@Krismar wrote:

for example if i remove 10 pieces of a product, can i copy over that quantity "10" via action to another table? 

You can achieve that using an action:

Actions: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Aurelien_0-1681801961659.png

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Krismar 

I think there is a confusion: you have "quantity" both in Database and Shop.

Can you try this:

[Related SHOPs][quantity]

Please note this expression should be used in the table Database.

This assumes the column "Item Code" in the SHOP table is set with type Ref and data source Database.

Where do i use this expression in "database" table?
Shouldn't it be other way around cause i want to pull the data from Database to Shop?

@Krismar wrote:

Where do i use this expression in "database" table?

In a virtual column.

For reference: Use virtual columns - AppSheet Help

@Krismar wrote:

Shouldn't it be other way around cause i want to pull the data from Database to Shop?

I don't think so, but I may be wrong. You will benefit from reading these short pieces of documentation.

I strongly invite you to read it 🙂

Yes i have read and watched all these videos for hundreds of times, seems that im just too dumb understand anything at all. Guess i should take a break from this stuff, it gets more confused than clear.

Thanks for your help Aurelien!

its quite the task, feel like the help barely relates to my situation the majority of the time.

But from my understanding is that you want the ref_row to essentially be filtered by other values in the table.

you can accomplish this in the actions section under behavior tab.

lets start with generic labels Table 1 has virtual column ref_row of table 2

create an app:go to another view action select table 1.

the target formula will be LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW("Name of a view that contains the ref_row column(if all you want is the ref_row column, or dont have one then create one) ", [COLUMN name you wish to use as filter] = [_THISROW].[same as the other column name])

Maybe im wrong and this isnt what you want, but it will be helpful with things in the future.

edit: The most efficient view to use is a detail view for table 1 and table views for table two.

heres an examp of mine with 5 different reference rows that use [team] as the filter.

Screenshot_20230417-143603_AppSheet.png

Screenshot_20230417-143624_AppSheet.png

Screenshot_20230417-143634_AppSheet.png

Screenshot_20230417-143642_AppSheet.png

Thanks for the help but I actually wanted to pull certain information from table1 to table2, in table2 i use app formulas to calculate the material cost and whatever is left has to be sent back to table1. 

@Krismar wrote:

I actually wanted to pull certain information from table1 to table2, in table2 i use app formulas to calculate the material cost and whatever is left has to be sent back to table1. 

Just to be clear, with a short example.

Let's say you have this:

TABLE 1 (table of ITEMS): key-column ITEM ID, other columns: name, price, initial_quantity

TABLE 2 (table of MOVES) :key-column MOVE ID, other columns: ITEM ID(Type: ref to TABLE1), quantity

You may have: 

- in TABLE 2 (table of MOVES) : a virtual column "cost" with expression:

[ITEM ID].[price]*[quantity]

- in TABLE 1 (table of ITEMS) : a virtual column "current_quantity" with expression:

[initial_quantity]+SUM([Related TABLE 2s][quantity])

Yes, that is it. You actually made my own formula better with that example.
Now i just need another piece of data from table3 (when form is saved) and add it to the formula to get the correct "current quantity" value into the database. 

Okay i think Dereference expressions is the thing i need right now. Watched the video. 
I have "item code" as ref column in the "Shop" table. Now the Item code column acts like a door between these two tables right. Now i want to pull the quantity of an item from database to the shop with the following expression: [Item code].[quantity]
This should use the column "item code" to ref to the other table, take the quantity of an item and bring it back to the "shop" table..right? Now how do i make it match the rows cause every item has it's code and quantity?

Hi @Krismar 

@Krismar wrote:

Now i want to pull the quantity of an item from database to the shop with the following expression: [Item code].[quantity]

If you have "Item code" as a ref column to database, just leave it that way.

It will be a drop down.

Now, if you wish to retrieve the quantity: use [Item code].[quantity] in the Initial value expression of the column "quantity" in the Shop table.

It is exactly as you described but "quantity" column is empty in the app.
I am currently in a table view, not sure if it matters.

I've come up another solution, i actually made virtual columns and this way it seems to work nicely. 
I have other table where i fill the form page if I need to add/remove something from my stock.
for example if i remove 10 pieces of a product, can i copy over that quantity "10" via action to another table? 

Hi @Krismar 

@Krismar wrote:

Yes

@Aurelien wrote:

@Krismar wrote:

You can achieve that using an action:

Actions: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Aurelien_0-1681801961659.png

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

I'm glad that helped you.

@Krismar wrote:

Now i just need another piece of data from table3 (when form is saved) and add it to the formula to get the correct "current quantity" value into the database. 

With no further indication, I won't be able to help you : my magic crystal ball is broken.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you have enough information now to solve your situation.

Let us know if you need more help.

Thanks a lot!
This would be easy if i had to do the calculation only with 1 row/1 item. 
I see now that I did not think it through. I need the value entered in a form to be copied over to many rows. My idea is to track the quantity of many items and then calculate the quantities after i have "used" those items. What i mean is that i have "product sets" that consist of different pieces. I need to calculate all those pieces that were used to make a product. 
Marc advised me to create a recipe table but i do not understand how to use it. 

I might be missing the mark, but if you were to creat a table of the product sets(assuming they can be used as a unique key, then a table if the sets with the number of peices like this

| sets | piece 1 | piece 2 | piece 3 |        | set 1 |    10      |       7      |      3       |         | set 2 |    6      |       4     |       1        |

Then another table that is set up the same with the values used.

Then in you product sets table you can ref_row both of these tables and do math stuff if you want.

Top Labels in this Space