How to reference values from two tables in Enum

K5
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi,  guys.  Iโ€™d like to have some advice from you.

<current condition>

I have 3 tables,

1) Credit card

-Card name

-Debit 

2) Bank account

- Account Name

3) Payment
 -Payment Method

"Credit card" table has "Debit"  column, and its related to "Bank account" table by ref.

<What I want to do>

I want to set an Enum on the "Payment Method" column of the "Payments" table so that I can select from the values in the "Card Name" column of the "Credit Card" table and the "Account Name" column of the "Bank Account" table.

<What I tried>

As far as I know, APPSHEET does not seem to be able to reference multiple tables.
It also does not seem to be able to concatenate tables.

So I tried to create a new "Payment Method Reference" table and synchronize "Card Name" and "Bank Account" in it, but could not get it to work.
(By setting up Automation, I was able to add rows automatically, but I was not able to reflect the changes/deletions.)

Any ideas you can give us would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Solved Solved
0 3 193
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I maybe wrong but if what you want to do is to create a list of values from two tables to show as suggested values on a column in a third table, you can do so by

Credit Card[card Name] + Bank Account[Account Name]

a simple list concatenation.

The values are not "references" because these do not point to the key values of the two tables but simply text values.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I maybe wrong but if what you want to do is to create a list of values from two tables to show as suggested values on a column in a third table, you can do so by

Credit Card[card Name] + Bank Account[Account Name]

a simple list concatenation.

The values are not "references" because these do not point to the key values of the two tables but simply text values.

K5
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@TeeSee1 
Thank you very much!
I did not understand the Suggestion Value feature. As you pointed out, it generated the value I wanted.
Thanks also for the note that it is a "text" and not a "reference". Ideally, it would be a "reference", but I think I can manage if I can get the value, so I'll try harder.
Thanks again for your prompt and accurate advice.

A reference by definition refers to the key column of a table (https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10106510?hl=en).

And you cannot make a column type reference that point to more that one table. Just not possible. The system cannot know which table a particular value is referencing if one column contains key values from more than one table.

Top Labels in this Space