How to remove asterisk

Hello.

Is there a way to remove the asterisk being displayed right after a field name? I have an app where all fields are required and there are over 10 of them, so it looks strange to the users.

Thanks!

Solved Solved
0 6 290
  • UX
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

No, unless you implement your own required field strategy.  BUT...using the asterisk for required fields is very standard.  I can't imagine users being annoyed by it.

View solution in original post

I think that it is possible with some workaround.
I'll write a few steps, but you gotta change them if necessary and do some tests.

1. Create a Virtual Column with a formula like that:
IF(
AND(
ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 1], ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 2], ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 3], ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 4],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 5],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 6],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 7],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 8],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 9],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 10])
"true",
"false"
)

This way if all your columns are not empty, in other words, filled, you'll have the "TRUE", if not this is a false statement.

That said I think that you can create a valid if in some Column saying that if VIRTUAL COLUMN = true. This means that you won't be able to save because some criteria is not true.

Makes sense?
PS: You can make this virtual column not to show

Here's the magic ๐Ÿง™๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ

peterson_0-1697654443502.pngpeterson_1-1697654612959.png

peterson_2-1697654645207.png

It works fine for me.
You'll only need one column to show the error message when the user tries to save without filling all the entries, but no *asteriks

PS: Sometimes all we need is creativity

BANG!!!

HrithikRoshanBangBangGIF.gif

6 REPLIES 6

No, unless you implement your own required field strategy.  BUT...using the asterisk for required fields is very standard.  I can't imagine users being annoyed by it.

Thanks, Willow.

I think that it is possible with some workaround.
I'll write a few steps, but you gotta change them if necessary and do some tests.

1. Create a Virtual Column with a formula like that:
IF(
AND(
ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 1], ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 2], ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 3], ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 4],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 5],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 6],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 7],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 8],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 9],ISNOTBLANK([COLUMN 10])
"true",
"false"
)

This way if all your columns are not empty, in other words, filled, you'll have the "TRUE", if not this is a false statement.

That said I think that you can create a valid if in some Column saying that if VIRTUAL COLUMN = true. This means that you won't be able to save because some criteria is not true.

Makes sense?
PS: You can make this virtual column not to show

Here's the magic ๐Ÿง™๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ

peterson_0-1697654443502.pngpeterson_1-1697654612959.png

peterson_2-1697654645207.png

It works fine for me.
You'll only need one column to show the error message when the user tries to save without filling all the entries, but no *asteriks

PS: Sometimes all we need is creativity

BANG!!!

HrithikRoshanBangBangGIF.gif

Thanks, Peterson. This is an interesting approach.

I'd appreciate if you could also give me a solved status

Lol

Top Labels in this Space