How to set Display heading for Inline view with expression?

I'm new to Appsheet. I may not have the technical words to best express my question. Please be patient.

• I have a one-to-many relationship between two tables "transactions" and "categories". Each category contains many transactions.
  • The table "category" has a column `category ID` of type `Text` and a system generated column `Related transactions` of type `List` with appropriate formula.
  • The table "transactions" has a column `category ID` of type `ref`

I arrive at an Inline view of the `Related transactions` after clicking on `view` in a category Detail view. I have "Show view name in header" turned on and want to show the `Category ID` of these `Related transactions` in the header.

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 6.23.37 PM.png

I can't use something like [Category ID] in Display name, because column values are not available in inline views. Warning shown in Expression Assistant: "This formula is not evaluated in the context of a row, so column values are not available."

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 6.24.23 PM.png

I gather that Inline view of is automatically selecting the transactions that contain the category selected. How can I access the "Category ID" value of this slice that is being automatically generated?

0 2 118
2 REPLIES 2

You can't.

At least not without setting up a cumbersome workaround. What you have to do is, instead of navigating directly to the inline view, you'd set up a Grouped action that first saves the current category value in some way that is query-able from an outside context, then navigate to the inline view, with the display name expression querying that saved value.

2 suggestions for saving the value would be to utilize a DateTime "flag" column in category table, and pull the record with the latest flag value, or to save the category value to a users/settings table.

In my opinion, it's just not worth it.

Got it. Thanks for the extended reply!

Top Labels in this Space