How to sort (Ascending and Descending) values with blanks?

Hello everyone! Need a bit of help with the sorting on my app. Currently, clients are sorted based on two separate upload deadlines (Initial and Final), and not every client has an initial or final.

I'm looking to see how I can invert the sorting for ascending or descending where blanks are not prioritized over actual values. Attached are images to explain what I mean. 

*Initial Uploads are prioritized over Final

First, when they are sorted via ascending order, the values that have initial uploads are way at the bottom and we're having to scroll all the way down the blanks to see what's upcoming. 

smrod__0-1645485503489.jpegsmrod__1-1645485503558.jpeg

Then when they are sorted via descending order, although the initial uploads values are at the top, they are not in order on time. Again, keep in mind that initial uploads take priority over final uploads, therefore if an initial upload is added, regardless of the final upload date, it takes precedence over the final. 

smrod__2-1645485503548.jpegsmrod__3-1645485503557.jpeg

What I'm looking for is to see if I can have them in ascending order, but place the actual values at the top without having to use descending order. I'm assuming this is because of the lack of clarification of blanks, but I'm not sure where to start to add a needed function in the Show If? or Valid If? for the table to ignore blanks? Any ideas with what functions to use for these blanks?

Solved Solved
0 7 1,253
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Add a virtual column named (e.g.) Initial Upload Due Date is blank? with an App formula expression of:

ISBLANK([Initial Upload Due Date])

Insert this new column in the sort order before Initial Due Date.

Repeat for each of the other three columns.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You can use a slice with a filter condition something like:

ISNOTBLANK([Initial Update Due Date])

Then create a view for this slice instead of the table. 

Unfortunately, this is already a part of an existing slice, with a pre-existing row filter condition for another aspect. Would I be able to do multiple row filter conditions?

Another method might be to make a virtual column and use an expression that keeps that value of the column you want to sort the same and assigns a value to blank columns that will yield the result you want.  Then, you could sort but this new virtual column but not display it.

Sure you would. What is the existing condition's expression?

I can think of two options:

1)  Break each sorted segment into their own view to allow each sorted as desired and then show them in a Dashboard or some stacked arrangement.

2)  Add additional data columns that allow you to sort as desired.  They don't have to be shown.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Add a virtual column named (e.g.) Initial Upload Due Date is blank? with an App formula expression of:

ISBLANK([Initial Upload Due Date])

Insert this new column in the sort order before Initial Due Date.

Repeat for each of the other three columns.

This corrected the issue!! Thank you so much, I knew it was an issue with blanks. I appreciate the help!

Top Labels in this Space