How to sort a Ref to a Slice?

I have a list of jobs in a Google Sheet that is used by two apps as a Ref for a drop-down list of options. Each app references a Slice of the jobs sheet that is relevant to that app. Staff use a third app to add new jobs to the list, to make sure everything is formatted right, but because AppSheet always adds new rows at the bottom, the added jobs arenโ€™t in any useful order (e.g. numerical by job number), which makes the drop-down Ref lists hard to use.

How can I sort the job sheet rows, either in the Slice or in the Ref? I tried putting a ORDERBY command in the VALIDIF for the Ref, but that made it list all the jobs in the sheet, not just the ones in the Slice anymore.

Solved Solved
0 6 456
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ORDERBY(
  JOB FILTER[JOB_CODE], /*HERE IS WHERE YOU MENTIONED THE TABLE INSTEAD OF THE SLICE*/
  [JOB],
  FALSE
)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Maybe you use your table name instead of slice name.
Anyway, post a screenshoot

Nope, still using the slice. Screenshots:

And the relevant Slice:

Never mind, I found a solution: replaced ORDERBY(job_code[job_code], [job], FALSE) with ORDERBY(FILTER(โ€œJob Filterโ€, TRUE), [job], FALSE) (where Job Filter is the name of the Slice). Seems to do exactly what I needed!

ORDERBY(
  JOB FILTER[JOB_CODE], /*HERE IS WHERE YOU MENTIONED THE TABLE INSTEAD OF THE SLICE*/
  [JOB],
  FALSE
)

Oh sweet, thatโ€™s even easier. I didnโ€™t know you could use a slice as the data source for ORDERBY. Thanks!

Sure!
Any Table[Column] expression can be written as Slice[Column]
Thatโ€™s why I think @Steve uses "Dataset" to refer to it

Top Labels in this Space