How to use data from a new entry to update a field in another sheet

I am trying to create an inventory management app that lets me check tools in and out from storage and updates their location in the app. I am able to create the entries for the check in/out with no issues, however, I would like these entries to update the location of these tools in my inventory view.

Currently, I have a "Tools" view which has the name, brand, serial #, and location of the tool. I have a "Tool Log" view that uses a form to create entries stating the tool's ID, whether its being checked in or out, and the location at which the tool is being checked in or out from a list of job sites. I can create entries perfectly fine, however, I cannot figure out a way to have these entries update the location field for these tools in my Tool view, which is linked to a different sheet than the log.

I have tried setting up bots to automatically update the tool location field when an entry is created but I cant seem to be able to figure out how. Both sheets have the tool ID, which is how I would know which tool's location to update, but there can be repeat tool IDs in the log view, which means I cant use the MAX() statement.

If there is any more information I can provide to help make a recommendation, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 4 119
4 REPLIES 4

Welcome to the community!

Instead of running your actions through a bot, you should use a Form Saved action on your Log view. In this way, each time a log Form is saved the action will run in the context of the saved row and.update the Tools table based on the tool ID of the log. 

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I think your solution is the way I should go about implementing this feature into my app, however, I am struggling to figure out exactly how I would go about making the action interact with both spreadsheets simultaneously.

I guess I just dont really understand how the actions and expressions within them work yet. I will continue to play around until I figure it out, but if you know of any links or tutorials that I could reference, that would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @leochiappini ,

Great question! I think you may be able to create this feature using the following action: Data: add a new row to another table by using values from this row. 

Check out AppSheet Documentation for more info on this topic here: https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/953637-actions-the-essentials 

Let me know if this helps or if you need additional information. 

Thanks,

Austin from AppSheet Training

Hello Austin, 

Thank you for the suggestion for how to solve my predicament. This is a good idea but I do not want to add/delete rows from my "Tools" table, instead, I only want to  update their locations. I know that I could just add a new row and delete the previous one, leaving only the latest version, however, I have information on the "Tools" table that is not present in the "Tool Log" table, hence, I would need to copy part of the info from the "Tool" table and part of the info from the "Tool Log" table. This could be the solution, however, it seems a little complex and convoluted to be the best solution.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you meant by your response, please let me know if I am so I can give it a shot! Thank you for your help!

Top Labels in this Space