I am totally confused about users, deployment, scripts, and licences.

1.  If I invite somebody as a user and the app (which is designed to run on a PC) is deployed, what should appear on their computer?  If they go to appsheet.com and log in, shouldn't the app appear as one of 'Shared with me'?  It doesn't.  I have to send them a link and then they copy that link to their desktop.  Clicking the link runs the app, but it is hardly an elegant way to show an app on the desktop.  Am I doing something wrong?

2.  Does anybody have any idea why a script that is triggered by some change in my database is always executed by me, the developer, and not by the user?  This is particularly annoying if the script generates an email, because the email so generated always comes from me, not from the user, which confuses the heck out of the recipient.  (An email generated by an Action within the app shows it is from the user.)  But even if the script does something like create or change a document, that activity is always attributed to me and not to the active user.

3.  What exactly happens when I deploy an app?  How is it different from just inviting specific people and running the app in prototype mode?

4.  My app has two users but I have to pay for three licences, as I am considered to be a user.  But I am not.  How do I change it so that Google does not consider me a user?  (OK, we're not talking big dollars here but the work is for a small charity and every dollar counts.)

These things have been puzzling me for months, so any explanation is welcome!

0 8 435
8 REPLIES 8

1. I'm guessing here, but since desktop is an after thought to the original product, it's likely that the when on the appsheet.com desktop site, only shared templates where you have some edit rights appear.  
  2. Both the reply-to email address and the reply-to name are configurable.  They are found in the Other Email Parameters section of the interface.  
  3. When an app is deployed, bots can send emails to users.  When in prototype mode, all outbound mail goes to the template author.  Also time-triggered bots work only in deployed mode.  If you have an enterprise license, being in deployment also provides you with some version release controls.
  4. Ostensibly, AppSheet is free for non-profit uses.  Getting the license can be challenging, but it's not impossible. Good luck with it.

Cheers!

#4 - The account owner is counted as a user if you use the app either with the mobile device or full screen. If you just use the editor, you are not counted as a user and no license is needed. For non-profits, https://cloud.google.com/apigee/resources/ebook/appsheet-non-profit-discount

Thanks.

1.  You may be correct.  My users only have Use rights.  I'll check to see if they appear if given edit rights.

2. Reply-to is only configurable if you have alias accounts.  But even then the emails still appear in my Sent mailbox.

3.  I haven't had a problem with this.

4.  AppSheet isn't free for non-profits, but we do pay a discounted amount.  I would still like to remove myself as a user, but don't know how to.

Yeap, it's 50%. When you next period starts, don't use the deployed app(s) other than via the editor. Then you can remove one license from Billing page and it doesn't send any alerts.

Hi, i have to ask, cause it is not clear to me. I have an app with som bots that send mails. Eventually, when the app gets deployed i will have to suscript to a paid plan to make those bots work? thanks!

When the app is in prototype mode, it sends the email to app owner. When you deploy the app, it starts to send your emails to others  And when you deploy the app, you need to have a subscription  

Super clear, many thanks!

Good to hear!

Top Labels in this Space