I don't want users to be able to edit the app

How do I make it so users I send the app to cannot make changes and edits to the app?

0 10 158
10 REPLIES 10

Add them as 'user' permission 

In the App editor, where you add users to the app, you would change their "usage" privilege to that of "Use app".  See image. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 9.48.19 PM.png

I did that and it still allows the user to edit, delete and add entries.  Do I have to have log in on?  Thanks!!

Ah ok! 

In this Community there is a difference between:

- a user who "cannot make changes and edits to the app".   
and
  - a user who cannot make changes and edits to the DATA in the app.

I now understand you are referring to the later!

In an AppSheet app, there are several ways to control what data users can change and even WHICH users can make data changes.

If you don't want users to make ANY adds, edits, deletes to the data at all, then you want to set the Tables in the app to "Read Only".  See image.

If you need more precise control - who can change data and who cannot - then please let us know what security your app actually needs and we can help get you there.

To make the entire app Read Only for all users - set each table to Read Only

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 11.36.29 AM.png

Thank you, I will give that a try!

ok, we're getting closer!  I found the read only button but when I press that it takes away my ability to edit, delete,etc..  I only want to block others from being able to change things

@WillowMobileSys wrote:

If you need more precise control - who can change data and who cannot - then please let us know what security your app actually needs and we can help get you there.

So are you saying that you want to make the entire app Read Only for everyone except yourself?

If so, then you will want to change the Table permissions as indicated below:

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 5.06.19 PM.png

Modify the Expression as Indicated below

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 5.07.22 PM.png

Great! I will give that a try!

One question...if I change that will I need to require people to sign in?

Thanks again!

Well that is a good question.  How do you currently have your app configured with regards to user sign-in?

If you have "Require user signin" turned off, then the app is considered Public and you have no way to specify app access by user- such as disabling Add/Edit function for everyone but yourself.

What you could do is create 2 separate apps - 1 Public app and a second app just for your use.   They would need to be under different accounts. 

Otherwise, you would want to have the "Require user signin" turned on. 

Top Labels in this Space