I really need help! How to sync App sheet database with the changes at Google Sheets?

Hi!
I have created a database from google sheet file. 
Now, if any changes applied at original google sheet file, they are not applied at App sheet Database. 
How can I sync it? 
Also, Im not able to add a new column at App Sheet Database file. Any suggestions? Screenshot included

VictoriaN_1-1675097751298.png

Thank you 

0 6 574
6 REPLIES 6

It's unclear why you need the same data in both the worksheet and the database table. Maybe just one or the other would suffice.

If you do need both, you can add each as a table in an AppSheet app and configure functionality there to replicate all changes from one to the other. One technique is to use the AppSheet API to copy updated records

@dbaum wrote:

It's unclear why you need the same data in both the worksheet and the database table. Maybe just one or the other would suffice.

@dbaum
I actually have a deployed app that uses both a spreadsheet and a database!  The app uses the spreadsheet for all the data but i have a bot that sends certain parts of new row entries to the database.

The reason is simple and stupid but this is my first income earning app and, like a mother hen, I still like to see what's happening with my 'chicks' and that all is OK!
It's a field site inspection app and I like to see how many reports are being created daily ๐Ÿ˜Š

I've found that the calendar view in the database is excellent for this and I can share the database with my client so he can get an overview without messing with the spreadsheet!

Thanks for describing your use case. That's a good technique to keep in mind.

Presumably, it would also be possible to have the app just use the database as its data source rather that the spreadsheet--although, maybe it's prudent to wait until the database feature is beyond preview status before relying on it in that way for a production app.

@dbaum wrote:

Presumably, it would also be possible to have the app just use the database as its data source rather that the spreadsheet

Absolutely, of course.
But the end users are not necessarily very IT literate and it's probably easier for them to enter the limited data the app requires [from them] into a spreadsheet than into a database that they've never seen before!

I was assuming that data entry is via your app. That would be the same user experience regardless of whether the app's data source is a worksheet or a database.

You are, obviously, correct about the user experience from the device, but
some base information (details about the site being worked at) is first
entered into the spreadsheet and sync'd to the phones upon arrival on site.
Top Labels in this Space