I want to populate a dropdown with Employee N...

I want to populate a dropdown with Employee Name. If i select an employee name from this dropdown list, i want to get the associate Employee ID so get more information about this employee from the connected tables.

How can i achieve this? I do not want to use employee name as the primary key.

0 56 1,102
56 REPLIES 56

Like a customer can have multiple addresses and you only want to bring a list of addresses to be displayed, and or restricted by state or zipcode. Just as example. Am I right?

I know now that if I create a REF column connecting a customer table to address table(one to many relationship), appsheet will automatically create the list of addresses for that customer.

then you would use it in appsheet BUT if a customer could have multiple addresses i would create a seperate table for the addresses and ref it back to the customer table. and if that was the case i would add a column called primary with a yes/no type of column which would allow you to pull the information through if you needed to copy the address somewhere quickly

@tvandang yeah you got it!!! well done!

I had 2 columns in the table employee, cash percentage and check percentage and are created when an employee is created. So when I create the payroll table, I didnโ€™t not want to create these columns again since they can be accessed from the payroll table via employee table. However I do notice that you create the columns again in the payroll table and use vlookup to access these values. Is that how data being access?

you donโ€™t have to create them you can integrate them direct into the formulas for cash and cheque however i like spliting things up in smaller chunks when possible so that if any errors pop up in the future it is easier to find the source but that is a personal preference. and as these columns are formula based, you can hide them in appsheet but allows you in excel to check that everything is working correctly

I guess using vlookup to pull desired data across all tables in the app that have common fields(columns) is the best practice. I was struggling with that but I realize the way you are doing it, makes it easier to understand when I create the formula in the spreadsheet.

It is makes a lot of sense now. What are your most used excel formulas for all your apps?

Vlookup, sumifs, ect? Just curious so that I can look them up and learn them.

Are you french? I noticed that you spell check as cheque?

yeah french background and studies but in australia 23/28 years. most used excel formulas is a hard one, i use so manyโ€ฆ definitely, sumif, sumifs, vlookup, round, roundup,rounddown, if,or,and,iferror,โ€ฆ for reports i also use arraysโ€ฆ

That is impressive. I have one question. I am in the US. it is almost 2 am here:-)

I noticed that in the app for payroll, it shows a list by employee. What determines or where can I set the order of the columns in the list. I see the order is FROMDATE, TIPS, and TODATE.

I looked in the columns for the PAYROLL table, I donโ€™t see anything that would indicate the order that is shown in the app. Can I change what order can be shown in the list?

i set that up, if you go to UX editor, and then there should be 2 views in the menu area at the top, one called employees and the other payroll. it is here you can change the order that presents in these views. If you want to change how the look of related products (inline view) appear or the detail view of any table, click โ€˜show system viewsโ€™ and then go to the corresponding table.

Got it! The payroll table was more to view as a report and was never meant to create data in this table. I wanted to create a selection criteria to allow the user to select the Employee name from the drop down list and the date range (from and to date) to create a report view of how much this Employee made(Payment) and from this payment, how much were cash and check within the date range. I do not want to write these information to a table. I just want to view the information. Is there a way to do it without writing it out to a table?

@tvandang ok if itโ€™s just to view not to record completely different thing. So let me get home and back on the computer and Iโ€™ll go through it with you OR you go to bed cos itโ€™s so late for you and look through it tomorrow?

No worry at all. I am so excited to learn this from you that I do not want to go to sleep right now but I must since I have to get up at 6 am for work.

I will take your advice and go to sleep:-)

whenever you have the time you can check it out for me.

Thank you so much for your awesome help. Have a wonderful day!

@tvandang

As you are a Newbie, I strongly recommend that you go to Youtube and search on AppSheet.

There are dozens of videos there to teach you how to use the platform.

@Segolene_Sansom hi again. I was looking at the modifications you made to my app and I noticed and have mentioned that you would like to create the formula in the spreadsheet rather than writing the expressions in the appsheet yourself.

So if I write the formula in the spreadsheet, how do I incorporate or include the fields that I select from the appsheet form into the spreadsheet formula?

so the app i shared to you wasnโ€™t the one you sent to me as the link didnโ€™t work. the one i created and shared should be in your app gallery under shared apps. thatโ€™s the one you need to copy

Top Labels in this Space