ISBLANK() vs empty string/list

Hello,

I’ve been using the empty string: “”, and they empty list: LIST(), in boolean expressions all around my app, such as:

[value] = “”
[value] <> LIST()

Then I discovered ISBLANK(), sorry!

My question is whether there are any performance/functionality reasons for which I should go back searching for those earlier expressions and change them using ISBLANK(). Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance,
KJ

Solved Solved
0 6 214
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

You should read this post:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi! Sorry no one responded. I would guess that this would not cause a performance issue either way but @Steve is the expert. What do you think, Steve?

@Kirk_Masden So kind of you Thanks my friend

I actually forgot about it, but it’s a nice opportunity to share a couple of things I learned during those 9 days since I wrote this topic.

First and foremost, ISBLANK([value]) and ISNOTBLANK([value]) are NOT equivalent to
[value] =/<> “” and [value] =/<> LIST(). The latter expressions do NOT always work in AppSheet where ISBLANK()/ISNOTBLANK() do work, so better stick to them.

Second, I believe you are right. It doesn’t matter. When I started with AppSheet less than a month ago I used to think of it as a new programming environment where I can write/import some code and benefit from a ready-made UX, but no no it is NOT. It is something completely different, and actually impressive.

I think it does NOT matter, because while in a typical environment you care about the efficiency of your code, now I understand that AppSheet is different, and the expressions we put in the App do not directly translate into program control flows. I believe what the underlying logic of AppSheet is doing is NOT direct code translation, but rather an AI constructing a general understanding of purpose (based on user’s expressions) then generating a corresponding code with control flows that efficiently implement the purpose, regardless of the expressions you used to describe that purpose.

A question to developers of AppSheet, I’m curious, please if I may, are you using LISP?

Thanks a lot for your explanation!

I’m not familiar with LISP. Is this what you mean?

I’m so sorry for the confusion.

This is hardly an explanation, they are rather some conclusions based on reading mostly. Only the part about ISBLANK() vs LIST() is from actual experience.

Yes this is the “Lisp” but the question was actually directed to people who developed AppSheet itself. Sorry again! and again thanks for your kindness recovering my question !!

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

You should read this post:

Wow. Thanks a million @Steve. Very helpful as always!

Top Labels in this Space